Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US Army Garrison Cap

Article about: Need some help with this, recently bought it and the seller says it is from WWII, is it? it also has a laundry number "M-9697" and "80" written inside it. Also what doe t

Based on the piping colors that I am seeing I am leaning towards this being transportation corps..

I will have to look and see if I have a TC garrison cap and compare colors..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Greetings collectors...

After looking at the Garrison Cap piping colors of the examples we have in the museum the OPs garrison cap is Transportation Corps.

I have attached an example of a Signal Corps garrison cap. The piping colors are close but not exact. Take into consideration fading, wear, dirt, dust and the elements of time, the bright vibrant colors that were 70+ years ago will fade and discolor.

The Transportation Corps Branch Colors are Brick Red and Golden Yellow according to the Historian at the US Army Transportation Museum

The Signal Corps Branch Colors are Orange and White according to TIOH (The Institute of Heraldry)

I have attached an image of a WW2 Signal Corps Garrison Cap which shows the orange and white piping (Again take into consideration age, wear, dirt, dust, improper storage, fading over 70+ years etc.) It can often be difficult in determining the multi-color branch insignia piping.

Not as easily defined as the Infantry branch, Cavalry branch, Artillery branch and Chaplain Corps (to name a few) which have single colored piping. (Infantry Blue, Yellow, Scarlet and Black)

Hope this information is helpful

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Garrison Cap   US Army Garrison Cap  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2