Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats

Article about: Hi everyone, I hope you all had a good Christmas and best wishes for 2014! This topic has probably been covered before and I am sorry if it is boring for some of you or repeating. I was just

There are some great slouch hats on display here. It's a pity the thread has been so quiet recently, so I thought I'd add some of the few examples from my collection to start things up again. First off is a fairly fancy RA slouch hat from the 4th Corps, dated 1942. It's all complete, including the chin strap, and has a feint service number and the owner's initials penned inside. I haven't done any research on the owner but I probably ought to at some point....

Matthew

WW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hats

Next up is another 2nd Infantry Division hat, in very nice condition and complete with chinstrap. The liner does show some use, including a few strange dent marks, and may have been replaced by the owner. It has a brass Newey snap but no dates visible anywhere. The crossed keys patch is on very thick, heavy material.

Matthew

WW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hats

And finally a true veteran slouch hat, purchased from a family member of a Royal Signals corporal in the 70th Division. It came with his bush jacket, a few bits of insignia and some paperwork. This is a well-worn, filthy and sweaty hat - just like most would have been when worn on a daily basis. It's also been attacked by moths over the years but is still complete, with 1942 dated liner and original chinstrap. No metal grommets, just two small holes punched in the felt on each side. Even though this is a bog standard hat with no flashy extras, the authentic wear and history make it one of my favourites.

Matthew

WW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hats

Yes, a hat that's been in some steaming sweaty place.

?

Just thought I would add my 3rd Gurkha Rifles hat to this interesting thread...
    I found this one at a show at least 20 years ago. As soon as I picked it up, my friend muttered ‘Buy it... just buy it. I’ll tell you later!’ I’m glad he did.

Sadly, no liner or chinstrap remains, but is a clear example of its assembly from two modified bodies. A pair of holes have been punched through the front of the crown, for a cap badge, though these do not appear to correspond with any 3rd QA badges I have found (being North-South in orientation, rather than the East-West of the badges seen).
    I look forward to your comments...

All the best,
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats   WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats  

[QUOTE=tubist73;1896879]And finally a true veteran slouch hat, purchased from a family member of a Royal Signals corporal in the 70th Division. It came with his bush jacket, a few bits of insignia and some paperwork. This is a well-worn, filthy and sweaty hat - just like most would have been when worn on a daily basis. It's also been attacked by moths over the years but is still complete, with 1942 dated liner and original chinstrap. No metal grommets, just two small holes punched in the felt on each side. Even though this is a bog standard hat with no flashy extras, the authentic wear and history make it one of my favourites.

Matthew

Great to see one from the same manufacturer as mine Thanks for posting.

My latest purchase a nice, large size Royal Artillery slouch hat. Dated 1942 and a size 7 1/8. It’s not in bad condition considering it’s age and it still has its chin strap, but it looks like a mouse has had a nibble around the edge of the leather sweat band. It has an interesting modification that I have not seen before whereby the top peaks of the hat have been sewn together. I’m not quite sure why this was done other than style.

WW2 1945 British Jungle Greens
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats   WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats  

WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats   WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats  

a good addition. I think style is the main factor in sewing the crown together to keep the shape but also it is possible if it is a bit too big it stops it sitting too low. I have seen plenty of fs caps with the crowns sewn up, and probably mostly for style.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Border Regiment 1944 dated South African made

I thought it best to post this here rather than start a whole new thread so as to keep similar items together for anyone researching such items.

I have wanted to add one of these for a long time but as is the nature of the beast the potential candidates have always been either too far gone or totally mint neither of which appeals to me so when this one popped up I jumped on it as a good representative example.

It is by Harritz Hat Factory Of Johannesburg South Africa (I think the company is still active) and is badged to The Border Regiment whose 2nd Battalion fought in Burma with 100th Indian Infantry Bde part of 20th Indian Infantry Div who defeated the Japanese at Imphal.

It is in very good period condition so I feel it was probably a "best dress" item rather than having been worn in the jungle.

It has a four digit number stamped in the sweatband which is probably the last four digits of the owners regimental number. Curiously the last digit a figure '1' is upside down.

Under the sweatband on each side it has on each side a "hook" from a "hook and eye" attached the purpose of which I am open to suggestions.

On the left side turned up brim there seems to be a shadow caused by a now missing "patch" of some sort but there is no evidence of anything being attached by stiches or pins.

The cap badge is a very good example of the standard period other ranks cap badge with a slider but it is NOT a pagri badge which by this time were pretty much obsolete.

This hat fills a gap for me and I am very pleased with it but as ever, any opinions and comments are most welcome.

Regards

Mark

Last edited by Watchdog; 07-19-2023 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

12th Army slouch hat, Australian manufactured and dated 1942

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6