Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Navy Flight cap

Article about: Gentelmen, I am friends with Don Mcpherson a WWII navy ace. 5 kills with vf 83 in a f6f 5 hellcat. He has done many talks and still goes to schools to talk to kids. He asked me if I could lo

Default WWII Navy Flight cap

Gentelmen,
    I am friends with Don Mcpherson a WWII navy ace. 5 kills with vf 83 in a f6f 5 hellcat. He has done many talks and still goes to schools to talk to kids. He asked me if I could look for a tan flight helmet for him so he could use it with his original goggles during talks. If anyone has a source for one please let me know. He likes telling the story of his first combat flight. They were using aux tanks and were attacking an airfield. He went into his dive and fired his rockets and was pulling out of the dive when his engine died and the cockpit filled with smoke. He then rememberd that he was told not to dive while using the belly tank. Anyway he rolled open the cockpit and his helmet and goggles were sucked out the plane. He primed the engine and got it started and made it back to the uss Essex when he found out there was a 20mm hole in the plane behind the headrest. This was the only round that he took during the war. He ended the war with 117 combat sorties. I will post more info on Don later. Thanks for your help

Phil

Default Re: WWII Navy Flight cap

Thanks to everyone I finaly found one and will take some photos with Don and the cap and post them.

Phil