Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

15th Battalion DPM Para smock

Article about: A recent pick up of mine was a pair of DPM combat trousers and smock which is badged up to the 15th (Scottish Volunteers) Parachute battalion. The smock is of the earlier pattern without the

Default 15th Battalion DPM Para smock

A recent pick up of mine was a pair of DPM combat trousers and smock which is badged up to the 15th (Scottish Volunteers) Parachute battalion. The smock is of the earlier pattern without the FFD pocket on the right sleeve, and the contract number dates it to around 1978.

All fasteners and zip are Newey brand, and the elasticated cuffs are of the shorter type which were used on these early pattern jackets. Above the right breast pocket is a set of West German parachute wings, and again they are original to the jacket. Both the jacket and trousers were purchased together at a ridiculously low price a few months back, and just a few weeks after my purchase, a similar smock sold on eBay for a surprising £678!

15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock

The parachute pack in the picture is a PX4 which is little different from the WW2 ‘X2’ parachute, the main difference being the inclusion of a reserve chute on the later pattern. During WW2 the British considered that due to the low altitude that they jumped, there would be insufficient time to deploy a reserve chute if needed. The helmet also visible in the picture is a BMB HSAT which has a 1953 dated liner.

15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock

On a historical note, the 15th battalion are mostly remembered for an incident which happened on a training exercise 50 years ago this coming September, when six men drowned after landing in the Kiel Canal during a night drop in 1974. It is thought that the navigation lights of barges on the canal were mistaken for the DZ lights, but stronger winds than forecast may also have played their part. A timely reminder that even in peacetime, soldiers can - and do lose their lives while training. In April 1993 the battalion were amalgamated with two other TA battalions to form the 4th Battalion, Parachute Regiment.

Cheers,
    Steve

Once again Steve you have achieved a truly unique set due to its condition.

Thanks to your historical note I have done a search and I have learned the history of the Kiel Canal Disaster 1974, in The digital magazine of The Parachute Regimental Association..... well.... six poppies for six red berets.... R.I.P.

Thanks for share.

Regards
    Santi

Just to clarify, this parachute pack dates from 1992, but it is exactly the same as those used at the time of the unfortunate loss of life during the training exercise in September 1974. The 15th battalion would also have been wearing the later pattern Denison smocks at that time.

15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock
    A few pictures of the labels on the parachute pack.

A picture of my granddaughter wearing a 1983 smock, light pattern Para helmet, and the LLP parachute pack which replaced the PX4 pack in 1993. Unlike my grandson, she has an interest in militaria and military history!

Cheers,
    Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 15th Battalion DPM Para smock  

?

Hi Steve, I've enjoyed reading your post & was touched the way you linked it to the incidents involving the accidental death of 6 British paras. To keep us in the para mood I'm taking the opportunity to present my dad's Canadian wings from the 1950s & mine from the late 70s. Tragedy also stroke Canadian paratroopers in the late 60s.

First the wings on a happy mood.

On 8 May 1968 2 Airborne Signal Troop (of 2 Signal Squadron, Petawawa) participated with other units in a parachute drop at Camp Petawawa Ontario. The conditions for an early evening jump looked favourable when the three Buffalo transports took off from Bonnechere Airfield but conditions drastically changed. When the first 26 men began exiting the planes at around 8:30 p.m. severe wind sheer propelled 22 of them away from their anticipated smooth landing on the sandy Mattawa Plains and into the frigid waters of the Ottawa River off Wegner Point with some landing as far as 1,000 feet offshore.

While many were saved others who had landed in the water were drowned before rescue was possible. Lost were:

These paras are not forgotten: Remembering Wegner Point | Pembroke Observer

Thanks for the inspiration Steve.
    Regards
    Jack

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A recent pick up of mine was a pair of DPM combat trousers and smock which is badged up to the 15th (Scottish Volunteers) Parachute battalion. The smock is of the earlier pattern without the FFD pocket on the right sleeve, and the contract number dates it to around 1978.

All fasteners and zip are Newey brand, and the elasticated cuffs are of the shorter type which were used on these early pattern jackets. Above the right breast pocket is a set of West German parachute wings, and again they are original to the jacket. Both the jacket and trousers were purchased together at a ridiculously low price a few months back, and just a few weeks after my purchase, a similar smock sold on eBay for a surprising £678!

15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock

The parachute pack in the picture is a PX4 which is little different from the WW2 ‘X2’ parachute, the main difference being the inclusion of a reserve chute on the later pattern. During WW2 the British considered that due to the low altitude that they jumped, there would be insufficient time to deploy a reserve chute if needed. The helmet also visible in the picture is a BMB HSAT which has a 1953 dated liner.

15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock15th Battalion DPM Para smock

On a historical note, the 15th battalion are mostly remembered for an incident which happened on a training exercise 50 years ago this coming September, when six men drowned after landing in the Kiel Canal during a night drop in 1974. It is thought that the navigation lights of barges on the canal were mistaken for the DZ lights, but stronger winds than forecast may also have played their part. A timely reminder that even in peacetime, soldiers can - and do lose their lives while training. In April 1993 the battalion were amalgamated with two other TA battalions to form the 4th Battalion, Parachute Regiment.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Nice find Steve!

As we have discussed off forum the Kiel disaster occurred just a few months before I joined the regiment. I of course was interested to know all about it but being young I was full of "P**s and vinegar" so not perturbed by it. My parents however....

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Mark,

As Jack's post aptly illustrates, even in peacetime there is a heavy price paid to ensure that our armed forces are at the peak of combat readiness. And as for your comments about your good self being full of p**s & vinegar, death or injury was something that always happened to someone else - and never yourself. I recall while training for my first tour of ops in Northern Ireland that it never really sunk in that we were all putting our lives on the line when it came to actual deployment. When it came to that first tour, several of my mates had their live changed forever through severe injury. And although I had a fair few extremely near misses myself, I still didn't think that anything would happen to me!

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Hi Mark,

As Jack's post aptly illustrates, even in peacetime there is a heavy price paid to ensure that our armed forces are at the peak of combat readiness. And as for your comments about your good self being full of p**s & vinegar, death or injury was something that always happened to someone else - and never yourself. I recall while training for my first tour of ops in Northern Ireland that it never really sunk in that we were all putting our lives on the line when it came to actual deployment. When it came to that first tour, several of my mates had their live changed forever through severe injury. And although I had a fair few extremely near misses myself, I still didn't think that anything would happen to me!

Cheers,
    Steve
    Couldn't be more true! When I think of what I was prepared to do then when these days I might say "you stick your head up and have a look, I'll hang on to mine just now"!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."