Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake?

Article about: Forum Members, I originally posted this thread under the Cloth headgear-Western Allies topic, but because it relates to airborne headgear I thought it might belong here instead. I would like

?

Default 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake?

Forum Members,

I originally posted this thread under the Cloth headgear-Western Allies topic, but because it relates to airborne headgear I thought it might belong here instead. I would like to hear your thoughts on whether this beret is authentic, or another fake.

My Holy Grail is a beret badged to the 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Parachute Battalion. Unfortunately, these berets are rarer than hen's teeth, so I know if one comes up for sale you need to jump on it. However, there are also fakes out there.

Another 15th para beret has come up for sale (see attached images), which the seller claims is pre-1953. I always try to do my own research before I reach out to the forum for their thoughts and expertise and rely heavily on forum members and their posts. For example, I read Steve's (ASR142) thread on WWII British Beret traits and construction and Jerry B's thread on his extensive para beret collection.

Here are my observations:.

1. The Hunting Stewart badge backing is correct and folded under, so not a DZ. It is machine-sewed.
    2. The badge is KC and does not have the "blob" under the wings. However, that does not mean the beret is pre-1953.
    3. The eyelet protector is leather and handstitched, which is an indicator of an earlier beret.
    4. The inner brim appears to be attached using loose tacking.
    5. There is a slider pocket, which I think for most berets was not introduced until after 1953.
    6. There appears to be the remains of an adhesive label, which to me seemed off. However, under the residue of the glue you can barely make out some letters (maybe Kangol?).

To my eyes, it appears to be a genuine beret, albeit not pre-1953 (though it has the traits of a WWII beret, so possibly from later 1950s). However, I defer to the expertise of the forum. The seller is asking $250 for the beret, which to me seems high.

What are your thoughts on authenticity and a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Reid

15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake? 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake? 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake? 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake? 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake? 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake? 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake? 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake? 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake? 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake? 15th (Scottish Volunteer) Para Bn Beret - Holy Grail or another Fake?

I don't know the unit history but sliders pockets as you said are 1950's, so not wartime.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Even though not a blobby fake, I dont like the extended wingtips and para badges on a slider are post war, there are genuine examples with kings crowns, but again post war

?

Thank you for the reply, Jerry. After talking to Mark, there are quite a few other red flags for the beret in addition to what you point out. The band appears to be synthetic and while there is an eyelet cover, eyelets do not appear on the outside of the beret. (Good eye, Mark). I looked a little further into the dealer themselves and there were some red flags there also. They do not accept returns on "vintage or used" items and the items displayed were very overpriced.

I have not given up on adding the 15th Para beret to my collection and I expect it will cost far beyond my normal budget. However, I keep running into more fakes than genuine berets.

This reinforces the consistent message throughout this forum, do you own research first and then check with your fellow collectors before you make a big purchase. Thanks again Mark and Jerry for your expertise.