MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

82nd Airborne patch and brevet patch ww2 real or not ?

Article about: Hello everyone, We found this in my grandpa stuff : a 82nd airborne badge and a brevet patch from ww2! Could anyone will be able to tell me if it's a real or not ww2 period patch? Thanks guy

Default 82nd Airborne patch and brevet patch ww2 real or not ?

Hello everyone,

We found this in my grandpa stuff : a 82nd airborne badge and a brevet patch from ww2!

Could anyone will be able to tell me if it's a real or not ww2 period patch?

Thanks guys !
    82nd Airborne patch and brevet patch ww2 real or not ?82nd Airborne patch and brevet patch ww2 real or not ?

Welcome to the forum.
    I have moved your thread to the correct section of the forum to hopefully get you more answers.
    This would not be a cap badge but rather a sleeve patch.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi, thanks !

Indeed, on the left the sleeve patch ! On the right I think it is a brevet bottom, but most of those ones I saw have the colors reverse, blue inside and red outside.

The oval patch is just that, A unit designating oval which the qualified paratrooper or glider rider would have worn this on his uniform with his jump wings or glider badge pinned to the oval. This particular Oval is for the Headquarters section of the 82nd Airborne Division and troopers assigned to the Division HQ would have worn this oval.

There are hundreds of different color combinations of parachute ovals which would identify various infantry, field artillery and other units assigned to Airborne divisions. The 82nd, 101st and 18th Airborne Corps as well as the 173rd Airborne Brigade, US Army Rangers, US Army Special Forces and select other units that have Airborne personnel still wear parachute ovals on their uniforms to this day.

Here is an example of an 82nd Airborne Division HQ oval with the colors Red, white blue

The second oval is for the 187th Airborne which is Blue, white, red

Both shoulder patch and oval look to be WW2 or early post war era. The oval has 2 pin holes which could be indicative of either a pinback set of wings being attached or clutch back pronged wings, difficult to determine but there is no doubt that either parachutist wings or glider wings were attached to this oval at one point.

Sometimes these ovals can cause confusion and controversy as to which unit actually wore them. You mentioned the color combination of Blue white and red and that particular oval is for the 187th Airborne. There are slight differences in border colors as well as thickness of the color rings that can most certainly confuse folks. With this in mind though the oval that you present with the 82nd Patch may also have been the approved oval for the 82nd Airborne Division HQ much earlier than the 187th oval which was not approved until the 1950s.. I think a lot of folks has misidentified the ovals based on the color combinations which causes more confusion when they see an oval attached to uniform,, so when I see them I have to really pay close attention to the color sequences since they are so close.

This second oval was one that I wore when I was assigned to the 101st Airborne and the 187th Infantry was part of the division and it still is today. Although the members now wear the Air Assault badge rather than the parachute wings. This oval is the second design for the 187th which traces their lineage and history back to World War Two where they were assigned to the 11th Airborne Division. The 187th became famous during the Korean War as the only Regimental Combat Team that made two parachute combat jumps (Suchon and Musan Ni). The oval of the 187th at that time was blue and orange and the later oval of blue, white and red was adopted in the late 50s.

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 82nd Airborne patch and brevet patch ww2 real or not ?   82nd Airborne patch and brevet patch ww2 real or not ?  

Hi there

The 82nd is a theatre made patch but not WWII or occupation period, I would say West German c late 50's-1960's pre merrow edge.

Germany has been producing US SSI for many years and this looks like one of them.

Below is a Amphibious SSI German made c late 60's-70's.

Now it has a similar weave pattern on the front compared to the reverse of the 82nd , it is quite distinctive and just showingfor comparison.

82nd Airborne patch and brevet patch ww2 real or not ? 82nd Airborne patch and brevet patch ww2 real or not ?

The oval
    Is West German made c 1950's has that machine embroidered on poplin 1st Abn BG 187th 11th ABN Div for a breif time in Germany 57-59

Can you elaborate on your Grand Pa's service , was he with the 82nd?

Phill

Phill,

Thanks, I knew you would contribute and make appropriate corrections..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Hello guys,

Thank you very much for your responses it helps a lot!

@Rakkasan87, thanks for all the detail! I took references from this site when trying to figure out from which unit it was : Airborne Breast Oval (Background Trimming)

Do you guys know it and if it is a good one to refer to?

@Phill, cheers, indeed the similarity is quite perturbing ahah! When looking for information, I never saw this background for this era patches!

My grandpa actually never served, he is as I am French, we live in normandy, he just told me that it was stuff given from some friends of him few decades earlier! He actually also told me that he should have more somewhere, I will share them with you tomorrow!

Thanks again guys, take care

Gaël

Hi Gaël

Yes that would make sense , he would of been given it from a reunion or commemoration of D-Day.

The oval is legit , I would say it would go well in Smitty's collection!!!

Phill