MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Any opinions on this one gents? Para beret 1980s

Article about: Good afternoon, Would like any opinions on this beret I've come across on eBay. The seller says it is from the 1980s but I'm not an expert. Disregard the plaque. Many thanks

RTH
    ?

Default Any opinions on this one gents? Para beret 1980s

Good afternoon,
    Would like any opinions on this beret I've come across on eBay. The seller says it is from the 1980s but I'm not an expert. Disregard the plaque. Many thanks
    Any opinions on this one gents? Para beret 1980s
    Any opinions on this one gents? Para beret 1980sAny opinions on this one gents? Para beret 1980sAny opinions on this one gents? Para beret 1980s
    Any opinions on this one gents? Para beret 1980sAny opinions on this one gents? Para beret 1980sAny opinions on this one gents? Para beret 1980s

- - ------- - -

Sorry let me know if you would like better pictures.

From memory, that contract number is somewhere between 1990 - 95 but I think there is a more accurate thread on the subject hwere somewhere. I just can't find it

Don't think I am too far off though!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-04-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

RTH
    ?

- - ------- - -

Sorry, so you mean that it's a legit beret but just dated wrong?
    A

Quote by RTH View Post

- - ------- - -

Sorry, so you mean that it's a legit beret but just dated wrong?
    A

If you mean the seller has dated it incorrectly then yes unless he is being pedantic and it is 1989 as the contract might have started prior to 010190 but to all intents and purposes I would call it early to mid '90s not '80s which might suggest The Falklands Campaign to the unwary but 1982 is too far off in this case!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

RTH
    ?

Ok thank you. Glad to know its a genuine piece. Might go for it. Many thanks

Quote by RTH View Post
    Ok thank you. Glad to know its a genuine piece. Might go for it. Many thanks
    It is only the last four digits of the part number, in this case 0224 that indicate the regimental colour; maroon, scarlet, green, navy blue etc.

Also, with a date in the early '90s it could still be one worn in Northern Ireland as Operation Banner did not officially end until 31 Jul 2007 although I think popular imagination has the "Troubles between 1969 - 1980 which just isn't true. So to put this with SLR and DPM (Unless Soldier 95 DPM) would be wrong but with SA80 and MTP would be OK

The cap badge if it is a Staybrite should be the type with lugs not a slider although the slider pattern is not totally impossible (I still have a slider pattern that I was issued in 1975 and it is perfectly good) just not the norm and rather unlikely.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-04-2021 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Typo

RTH
    ?

Sorry SLR and DPM? MTP and SA80? I thought the SA80 was a rifle?

Quote by RTH View Post
    Sorry SLR and DPM? MTP and SA80? I thought the SA80 was a rifle?

Sorry maybe that was a little presumptious (old soldiers tend to do that when you ask about "their stuff") but you mentioned an interest in Northern Ireland (NI) and The Falklands.

During Op Corporate (The Falklands) The personal weapon of the PARAs was the Rifle 7.62mm L1A1 aka the SLR or Self Loading Rifle and the combat uniform was in British Disruptive Pattern Material or DPM which was a camouflage pattern used from the '60s until MTP or Multi Terrain Pattern was introduced.
    The SA80 or Rifle 5.56mm L85A1 (now L85A3) was introduced later and was used in NI (Op Banner) along with DPM before MTP was introduced so in NI the SA80 (L85) and DPM did "live together" but towards the end of the really "interesting" period

Tell us something more of your interests/knowledge and I certainly won't make the mistake again

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-05-2021 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Typo

RTH
    ?

Thanks for the reply. We all appreciate your service to this country. As to knowledge, I've loved any sort of militaria from a young age. I've good knowledge of the events of WW2 and some WW1, but not in an equipment sort of way. My particular favourite period is WW2 and especially the TR and the Airborne. That's about it. Sorry all stuff that probably should be on my profile.