Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Battle of Bure

Article about: by londongirl1948 my dad was Major Andy Mcloughlin of 6th Airborne. He told us of this Battle when we were kids but my recollection is sketchy. Can anyone tell me more? It wasn't until I rea

?

Thanks Mark , unfortunately everything to do with the Bulge revolves around Bastogne and many of the other actions whilst not being ignored are not well known or remembered other than by the inhabitants of the liberated villages . Around Bastogne itself and further around the Battlefield are many Battle sites and memorials which are rarely visited because they have nothing to do with the 101 AB , fortunately over the years i've visited or Guided to many of these places .

The locations defended by the young men of the 99 ID and the 28th ID opposite the Siegfried line on the Reich Strasse and Skyline drive were where the Battle was really won if they hadn't held on for the first 24-36 hours then Bastogne , St Vith and many of the road junction / river crossing towns vital to the German plan would have been lost and the whole Battle would have been so much more difficult and costly for the Allies to win .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Here ya go.
    Those men deserve it!
    Great read and something I didn't know about.
    Thank you Paul.
    Battle of Bure
    Battle of Bure
    Battle of Bure

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Here is the video of 101 AB Veteran George Koskimaki where he makes the point about the Easy Company Memorial that was put up in Bois Jacques near to the Rail line and Station Masters house , he is quite correct in all his comments , many of the Companies of the 506 PIR and the 501 PIR fought there plus Task forces and Teams from both the 6th and 10th Armoured Divisions and yet the only memorial is to Easy company . Koskimaki wrote the Famous book the Battered Bastards of Bastogne .

George Koskimaki request - YouTube
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Another often forgotten unit is 9 Para, part of the 3rd Parachute Brigade. They had established a blocking position on the River Meuse. In January 1945, they were the first Allied combat unit to reach the small Belgian village of Bande after the enemy had retreated and it was British Paras who helped local people recover those who gas been murdered by the Germans and thrown into the cellar of a destroyed house.

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Another often forgotten unit is 9 Para, part of the 3rd Parachute Brigade. They had established a blocking position on the River Meuse. In January 1945, they were the first Allied combat unit to reach the small Belgian village of Bande after the enemy had retreated and it was British Paras who helped local people recover those who gas been murdered by the Germans and thrown into the cellar of a destroyed house.
    I visit Bande with my Tours every year , there is an excellent account of the Bande massacre and the involvement in the recovery and burial of the bodies of the 1st Canadian Para Bn and 9 Para by the CO of 9 Para Bn , Lt Col later General Napier Crookenden . The atrocity was carried out by elements of Einsatzgruppen K who followed the German Armies into the Bulge and who were responsible for many vindictive actions against the Civilian population for incidents of collaboration with the Americans and previous actions by the Resistance in September 1944 wheh the area was first liberated , another one of these atrocities occured in Noville north of Bastogne . Only one man a Swiss National of Einsatzgruppen K was ever brought to trial for any Bulge atrocities .

1st July 1916

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4