Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

British Para HELMETS

Article about: Hi all , i need some clarification here. Ive just been watching a programme on the Bruneval Raid on the Military Channel , they have actual film of the Paras coming back on the boats after p

?

Default British Para HELMETS

Hi all , i need some clarification here. Ive just been watching a programme on the Bruneval Raid on the Military Channel , they have actual film of the Paras coming back on the boats after picking up the radio equipment. The question i have is the shape of their helmets, im looking at several paras wearing what i would initially describe as the WW2 para helmet that we all know as the classic style, but these have a sort of flare to the rear almost like the Turtle helmet of 1944 pattern, now ive never seen this type before, were there other earlier type para helmets, its not the angle of the film nor my eyes, there is a definate and pronounced flare to the rear, anyone got any ideas? cheers dave

Default Re: British Para HELMETS

you are right about the early helmet it is similar to the later helmets but has a rubber rim attached....have a look at this link to see the helmet in question

Google Image Result for http://home.tiscali.nl/nijsten/Pictures_Headgear/ptype3.jpg

?

Yes I know about the rubber skirt and the fibre one but this is diffrerent, the flare at the rear is very pronounced and looks more like the turtle but it isnt, i would almost say that there is a seperate piece which protrudes about 3" in a gradual slope towards the neck

?

Cant believe that Lee is the only one interested in this subject about a potential " poss experimental " 1st type para helmet that ive observed , a friend of mine came round and i showed him the footage, he agrees with me, there is something strange about the helmets shown and it is not the fact that these have fibre or rubber skirts but they all display helmet nets and the nets are tight to the rear and show clearly the pronounced flare to the rear

SMP
    ?

A stated, they are P-Pattern helmets made by BMB in 1941. The large, rubber "duck bill" was later deleted on the 1942 version. Many 1941 helmets had this bill cut-off for field use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Para HELMETS  

?

SMP, thankyou, that is what i saw, it looks very odd in the film, especially as looking at the front of the helmet appears normal, even with either this rubber or fibre band, the one on the link given did not show the pronounced flare at the rear

Hi Dave, these are now rare in the true sense of the word.

I took this photo of one in the Airborne Museum in Oosterbeek.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Para HELMETS  

Hi dave,
    Well spotted mate, this is the first iv seen on this helmet, and Ade says it is rare, i wouldnt mind comming across one of them. Have to keep our eyes open you never know.
    dave.

SMP
    ?

Great photo, Ade .
    Finding one with the whole "bill" intact is very, very rare !

?

Thanks for that Ade, at first i thought i was going round the twist, then i thought another visit to specsavers was in the offing, that really is a strange looking contraption, but i can imagine how rare it has become, there must be some around somewhere in the world other than museums