MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Col. Clair L. Hess - WWII (501st PIR), Korean War (CIO - X Corps)

Article about: All, I was contacted several weeks ago by a gentlemen who was in possession of a grouping to a vet who served in the 501st PIR during WWII. Individual was hired to do a house cleanout, where

?

And last, but not least, Hess kept a day-by-day diary leading up to, and during Bastogne, from November 7th, 1944, until February 26th, 1945. Final entry is when he returned stateside to perform his factory tours.

This is the typed transcript of the diary (not sure where the original is):

Col. Clair L. Hess - WWII (501st PIR), Korean War (CIO - X Corps) Col. Clair L. Hess - WWII (501st PIR), Korean War (CIO - X Corps)
    Col. Clair L. Hess - WWII (501st PIR), Korean War (CIO - X Corps) Col. Clair L. Hess - WWII (501st PIR), Korean War (CIO - X Corps)
    Col. Clair L. Hess - WWII (501st PIR), Korean War (CIO - X Corps)

?

Congratulations Eric,
    A fantastic grouping!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Masonk: That is a terrific collection, I am envious. Dwight
    Thanks, Dwight! I'm definitely in awe of everything, and still reeling over the amount of content.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Congratulations Eric,
    A fantastic grouping!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks, Phil! Appreciate the kind words!

A very nice historical find, congratulations.

Words fail me when I think of the ignorance that had this significant group slated for the dump!!!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

WOW factor Mason

Great preservation and condition.
    I agree ...it was VERY Worth saving.

Glad you have it ...and not a trash dump.

Well done
    Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello, nice papers, I like these.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    A very nice historical find, congratulations.

Words fail me when I think of the ignorance that had this significant group slated for the dump!!!

Regards

Mark
    Thanks, Mark. It's crazy to think about. Paperwork is one thing, but the medals leave me puzzled. I guess some have a different appreciation for these things.

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    WOW factor Mason

Great preservation and condition.
    I agree ...it was VERY Worth saving.

Glad you have it ...and not a trash dump.

Well done
    Regards Larry
    Thanks, Larry. Much appreciated!

Concerning preservation, all of the paperwork has since been placed in protective sleeves, and in a binder. Enjoyed organizing, and reading though all of the documents. I shared most of the good bits, but there are several pages where he documents Normandy that I'm still sorting through.

I'll eventually put together a framed display to showcase his medals, and a few other bits. Have a spot on the wall ready for it once complete!

- - ------- - -

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Hello, nice papers, I like these.
    Thanks!

Fantastic grouping....congratulations & thank you for sharing !
    Regards
    Paul

Eric,

Great grouping... All the "bells and whistles"... Not always about the uniform or the helmet is what many will seek out.. This grouping with the paperwork and medals is just as significant and equally important...and many times overlooked at estate sales and other venues... and why many times paper products are often left behind... Good instincts for the person hired to clean out the house to reach out to you...

Your assumptions would be most likely correct in regards to the stars on the jump wings for combat jump credit in Normandy and Holland...(Overlord and Market Garden)...

Glad to see you are the caretaker of this fine grouping..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast