Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Col. Clair L. Hess - WWII (501st PIR), Korean War (CIO - X Corps)

Article about: All, I was contacted several weeks ago by a gentlemen who was in possession of a grouping to a vet who served in the 501st PIR during WWII. Individual was hired to do a house cleanout, where

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Eric,

Your assumptions would be most likely correct in regards to the stars on the jump wings for combat jump credit in Normandy and Holland...(Overlord and Market Garden).
    Smitty
    Hi Smitty,

this is a little of topic from a specific viewpoint but I think it is relevant to the question posed by Eric;

Regarding the combat jump stars, I have always understood that whilst the adding of the stars was a widespread practice from WWII onwards it wasn't officially authorised until many years later. Is this correct and can you add specific facts concerning the authorisation?

I would ask the same about the "Arrowhead" device which I believe was added for the 'D' Day operation. Sorry if this is common knowledge to US collectors but it seems to have passed me by

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Hi Smitty,

this is a little of topic from a specific viewpoint but I think it is relevant to the question posed by Eric;

Regarding the combat jump stars, I have always understood that whilst the adding of the stars was a widespread practice from WWII onwards it wasn't officially authorised until many years later. Is this correct and can you add specific facts concerning the authorisation?

I would ask the same about the "Arrowhead" device which I believe was added for the 'D' Day operation. Sorry if this is common knowledge to US collectors but it seems to have passed me by

Regards

Mark
    Mark,
    Not to answer for Leigh, but that would be correct. It was officially authorized in 1983 after Grenada.

Official regulation:

§ 578.76
    (g) Subsequent awards. A bronze service star is authorized to be worn on the Parachutist Badges to denote a soldier’s participation in a combat parachute jump. Orders are required to confirm award of these badges. A soldier’s combat parachute jump credit is tied directly to the combat assault credit decision for the unit to which the soldier is attached or assigned at the time of the assault. Should a unit be denied air assault credit, no air assault credit for purpose of this badge will accrue to the individual soldiers of that unit. Each soldier must physically exit the aircraft to receive combat parachute jump credit and the Parachutist badge with bronze service star.

The Arrowhead device was first authorized 23 Dec 1944, and was retroactive most notably to Overlord and Market Garden, as well as any Army operations that qualified in the Pacific.

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Eric,

Great grouping... All the "bells and whistles"... Not always about the uniform or the helmet is what many will seek out.. This grouping with the paperwork and medals is just as significant and equally important...and many times overlooked at estate sales and other venues... and why many times paper products are often left behind... Good instincts for the person hired to clean out the house to reach out to you...

Your assumptions would be most likely correct in regards to the stars on the jump wings for combat jump credit in Normandy and Holland...(Overlord and Market Garden)...

Glad to see you are the caretaker of this fine grouping..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty
    Thanks, Leigh! I do love a good uniform grouping, but the paperwork heavy groupings always add an extra level of interest as it saves you from going down the research rabbit hole, which can sometimes turn up empty.

Seems like Hess was pretty well documented online, which I find a lot of AB vets from the period are. Quite a few mentions of Hess on Mark Bando's site. I was really excited to find the period video of him on YouTube!

Thanks again, and take care!

- - ------- - -

Quote by Pauls1970 View Post
    Fantastic grouping....congratulations & thank you for sharing !
    Regards
    Paul
    Thanks, Paul! Appreciate the comment!

Quote by Masonk View Post
    Mark,
    Not to answer for Leigh, but that would be correct. It was officially authorized in 1983 after Grenada.

Official regulation:

§ 578.76
    (g) Subsequent awards. A bronze service star is authorized to be worn on the Parachutist Badges to denote a soldier’s participation in a combat parachute jump. Orders are required to confirm award of these badges. A soldier’s combat parachute jump credit is tied directly to the combat assault credit decision for the unit to which the soldier is attached or assigned at the time of the assault. Should a unit be denied air assault credit, no air assault credit for purpose of this badge will accrue to the individual soldiers of that unit. Each soldier must physically exit the aircraft to receive combat parachute jump credit and the Parachutist badge with bronze service star.

The Arrowhead device was first authorized 23 Dec 1944, and was retroactive most notably to Overlord and Market Garden, as well as any Army operations that qualified in the Pacific.
    Thanks Eric, that is how I understood it. I just didn't know the regulation to be able to quote

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

A wonderful grouping
    I'm so glad it didn't end up in a dumpster.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    A wonderful grouping
    I'm so glad it didn't end up in a dumpster.
    Thanks, Greg. I couldn't agree more, and sad to think how often it does happen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3