Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

I expect you’re bored looking at Zones of France maps but I love them. This one is in near mint condition. Beautiful bright colours and absolutely no fraying. It looks as if it was folded up as issued and never saw the light of day again until now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I expect you’re bored looking at Zones of France maps but I love them. This one is in near mint condition. Beautiful bright colours and absolutely no fraying. It looks as if it was folded up as issued and never saw the light of day again until now.
    Not bored at all! I enjoy looking at them...any of the evasion maps, really. That one looks like a real beauty! Based on my interest in Operation Overlord, my own grandfather's involvement in the campaign and his trek across France/Germany in the war, I'd love to get one for my collection as well. Just haven't come across one yet, but I keep looking! Thanks for sharing! This is one of my favorite threads.

**** UPDATE ****

Regarding the Norwegian maps shown in post #296 I have now read SECRET ALLIANCES by Tony Insall. Having read the chapter on the SIS Coast watchers I now believe that these maps relate to a small group of men based in and around the fjords of Northern Norway. Their role, having been trained by SIS (Secret Intelligence Service - modern day, MI6) was to watch German shipping off the coast of Norway and radio their movements back to the U.K. It was obviously a very dangerous role with the risk of being caught very high. They were supplied with equipment from airdrops and I suspect that this unique series of maps was produced in order to assist with the escape to Sweden should the need arise.
    So whilst not Tirpitz specific this was one of the ships that they monitored as it was moored in the area.

MILITÆRHISTORISK SAMLING - GAUSDAL, SIS

I have found out a little bit about the original owner who was clearly a man with fingers in a lot of pies and working at the highest levels of security.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

I thought that I would share this rather interesting item which I have coming up in Nov. It is a master parts proof list of components for manufacturing the escape compass.

Cheers, Ade.

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Rare RAF Pencil Clip Escape Compass. The clip could be balanced on a pencil point by placing it into the impressed dimple which allowed the magnetized clip to swing and act as a compass.

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I thought that I would share this rather interesting item which I have coming up in Nov. It is a master parts proof list of components for manufacturing the escape compass.

Cheers, Ade.
    I just saw your post on the WAF. An amazing piece. I’ll keep an eye on the auction but something tells me that I haven’t got a snowballs chance in hell of getting it the way prices have been going!! Many thanks for sharing though, it is very educational.

I have some more items to share, which I will post soon.

I see East Bristol auctions is once again pushing a batch of predominantly worthless fake crap! Most of it not even good fakes. I especially love the Second joke Escape Domino. MI9 obviously had a sense of humour the day they made it and used a German map! And just to be really helpful used a map tile covering around 1200 miles - particularly useful for finding the border crossing point you are desperately searching for... the pipe is wrong, the lighter is wrong, the pens... Buyers beware! Please spread the word to fellow collectors to avoid these backstreet traders... Last time the were pushing their fake garbage I told them twice that it was 90%+ fake. They told me that the collection had been verified as Genuine by an “Expert” on the subject - and to mind my own business...

Strong prices at the Hanson’s auction, although there were some very nice items. It’s times like this that I realise that I’m only playing in the collecting world and can’t compete with the big boys

Sorry you missed out this time.

But let me just say, watch this space!

Cheers, Ade.

Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... LastLast