Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Default Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

After I managed to delete all of the images on the 'SOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compasses' thread I thought I'd better start a new one!
    I am in the process of photographing my collection again (and finding the smaller images saved on my computer which will download!) so it will take a little time to get back to where the previous thread was. I hope to give a brief explanation about each item or series of items, however, for previous readers of the old thread I don't want to cover too much old ground. The bulk of the collection is made up of maps and compasses and I have attached some excellent links which outline their history.

WWII Silk Maps and Cloth Maps Escape Maps

Compass Museum - HOME

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13394451975437

Examples of whats to come!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

The SOE 'pencil dagger' / 'sticker', a metal stick which could be hidden inside pencils, amongst other things. There should be a fine cord (which I don't have) wrapped around the end to form a grip or allow it to be tied to the pencil as a handle. Designed primarily as a last ditch weapon to evade capture, I believe that the training suggests that you thrust it into the neck of your opponent! For such a small piece of metal it's a nasty looking thing and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  
    Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Per Ardua Libertas (Freedom through difficulties)

This is a copy of the very rare book which was produced by MI9 during the war which details a lot of their work from escape compasses hidden in pipes to maps hidden in records, cameras hidden in cigarette lighters to reproduced full German uniforms!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Last edited by Grimebox; 06-11-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Some of my compasses

Examples of the 'standard' wartime escape compass. These were either issued as shown in escape kits, etc or were hidden inside uniform buttons (hence button compass) or behind cap badges.

This is the 'round card' type compass - left (as opposed to the more common 'square card' type - right)

A post war 'common' type escape compass. It differs from the wartime escape compass by having a glossier black exterior, brighter brass interior and the compass 'card' is matt black and has only two dots (to indicate North) and no third dot (to indicate South). The overall finish is also a lot better. It is shown with five other wartime 'common' type compasses.

The very small escape compass (although not the smallest!) for hiding inside pens and pipes which were sent to P.o.W camps. It is shown next to the standard compass and on a page from 'Per Ardua Libertas'

Examples of a 'real' button compass. The fly button compass was designed to look like a standard Battledress button, however, when put together they become a compass. One of the buttons is marked to show North whilst the other has a pin/pivot to balance the magnatised button on top.
    Shown is the black RAF version and single RAAF button (minus the 'pin/pivot' button')

The 'swinger' or 'lapel' compass. These would have been sewn into the clothing or hidden within everyday objects sent to P.o.W camps. In Per Ardua Libertas it states that the quickest way to stabilise the compass is to suspend it in a glass of water.

Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast