Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Horsa Glider by Frank Wootton

Article about: Name: horsa sicily.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 187.4 KB  ID: 831454 class= thumbnail style= float:CONFIG /> Anyone seen this picture before ? ........ artist is Frank Wootton, backin

Default Horsa Glider by Frank Wootton

Horsa Glider by Frank WoottonHorsa Glider by Frank Wootton

Anyone seen this picture before ? ........ artist is Frank Wootton, backing paper has been left untouched and sealed, been there a long time.

yes it used to be in his catalogue.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    yes it used to be in his catalogue.
    Does that mean it was available as a print , or was it just a cataloque of his work ?

available as a print or was.

I know of two others in the series. how many altogether ...................? apparently six.

Thanks guys, if anyone has a copy of his catalogue please get in touch, would like to be able to date this if possible...........

Lightbulb

Old threads never die ( part 579...). At the de Havilland Museum we are starting to curate a quite impressive 'Horsa' archive and this thread offers a clue to something which has mystified us.

Starting in mid-1943, after existence of the Horsa had become public knowledge, Airspeed commissioned official RAF artist Frank Wootton to produce a series of six prints showing the various phases of the glider in operation. These were reproduced as Airspeed advertisements in Aeroplane magazine unitl March 1944 ( these dates may vary ).

Throughout this year,we've steadily ( tried to ) acquire a full set via e-bay. Actually a simple and inexpensive task. Except.............we have been able to locate any mention or example of # 5. I've attached images of #4 ( ' Horsas landing near the objective' ) and #6 ( 'disembarkation of airborne troops' ).

The early prints show scenes at and after takeoff from a UK airfield, the last two 'action'scenes start in October 43 and the background would point to Operation Husky in Sicily ( July 43 ). The hills inthe background look very similar to the image shown above - BUT the Horsa has mysteriously acquired a large '77' on the starboard side. Is this #5 ?

A nice little conundrum and we shall continue to search ( OK I'll probably get loads of answers telling me I'm wrong and these are easy to find for £1 each.... )

At the least, it again shows what gems of research are available via the WRF 'search' function......