Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Instant US Airborne Collection

Article about: My area of collection is generally German and Spanish militaria but I picked up this nice lot of US Airborne items at auction. Like most people in this hobby I have an interest in US paratro

?

Default Instant US Airborne Collection

My area of collection is generally German and Spanish militaria but I picked up this nice lot of US Airborne items at auction. Like most people in this hobby I have an interest in US paratroopers but I just have a general knowledge of the gear. I posted the lot pictures as a whole then I'll break down the items individually later when I get a chance. Hopefully I'll gain some insight as to what is authentic, post war or recreations. All opinions and comments are welcome.
    Regards, Al.

?

I'll start with compass wrist watch

?

The Airborne wall insignia is a hard rubber piece made from a mold

Nice looking group. Do you have any history behind the items?
    Did they all belong to one guy?
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Combat Infantry Regiment Pennant / Streamer ? Nice stitching and 4 feet long !

Instant US Airborne CollectionInstant US Airborne Collection

?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Nice looking group. Do you have any history behind the items?
    Did they all belong to one guy?
    Who knows Greg, you know how auctions put lots together based on what fits in. These are not named to anyone so I presume it's someone's collection with items from different places

?

On more than I gotta go, the brides not happy I'm spending another sunny Saturday afternoon playing with my toys, LOL.

What appears to be part of a parachute rip line / harness wrapped in cord ? Curiously, the hardware has the symbol of an anchor.

Al,

Nice grouping of items.. The large rubber Master Parachutist Wings most likely hung outside of a unit headquarters or office. I have a pair of Air Assault wings that are similar and they hung outside on a unit sign at Fort Campbell, Ky.. These are typical of the 70's and 80's and a little later when each unit would have these hanging on the side of a building/office etc..

The 2 garrison caps look good, the Khaki colored cap is most likely an officer cap, as indicated by the paraglider patch on the right side. This is indicative of being officer as on the opposite side of the cap, officers would wear their rank insignia.. and this paraglider patch version is showing the glider facing towards the wearers front, and if this were an enlisted version it would be worn on the left side of the cap just like the OD garrison cap you have.

The OD cap has the standard parachutist cap badge and looks to be in very nice condition. This patch was the earlier version prior to the merging of the parachute and glider insignia on one patch.

The Combat Infantry Regiment streamer is a unit award when a certain percentage of the unit as a whole has all members qualified to receive the Combat Infantryman's Badge. I believe the standard was 65% of the unit's members were Combat Infantry Badge wearers..

The Camo panel of parachute silk may have been a souvenir from a jump.. Hard to say without provenance if the grouping belonged to the same person or not.. Would be great if you could put a name with the items and then go from there as far as research..

Just a very broad speculation but based on the 2 lanyards the camo scarf may have been for the Market Garden Operation..

In any case these are some nice items to have..

Smitty

The wrist compass is nice,, a common misnomer is that these were "Paratrooper" compasses, but as you can see from the back side these were Army Corps of Engineer compasses that were used by paratroopers, but they were not solely a paratrooper specific item.. The wristband looks to be in great condition as well as the rest of the compass, possibly never worn or rarely worn..

The let down rope looks to be two separate ropes together. The WW2 let down ropes were a length of rope but I don't recall that they had metal clip attachments like yours pictured which may indicate a combination of the thicker rope and the thinner diameter rope being married together at one point.. Most likely post WW2..

The 2 lanyards look good, the one solid orange lanyard is from Operation Market Garden, and the other lanyard is the Belgian Fourragere,

?

Thank you Smitty for that wealth of information. I had a feeling about the compass based on the rear but is it still WWII era ? The lanyards were listed as Holland (Operation Market Garden) and French, so they had it half right. i am happy about the caps. Thanks for excellent post.

Regards, Al

?

The parachute silk stitched into the shape of a neckerchief like I've seen in photographs. Not sure if it's possible to tell if it's authentic without provenance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast