Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting unusual WW2 Paradummy

Article about: This is an interesting image of Paradummy of a type I haven’t seen before. It would appear to be made from British lightweight/summer MT overalls (going by the single thigh pocket and ches

Default Interesting unusual WW2 Paradummy

This is an interesting image of Paradummy of a type I haven’t seen before. It would appear to be made from British lightweight/summer MT overalls (going by the single thigh pocket and chest pocket).
    My guess is that it was used in North Africa, although paradummies were dropped in Madagascar.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting unusual WW2 Paradummy  

I've never seen this one at all..

It must have had a use, so I'm waiting for some replies my friend.

This offers a bit more info on paradummies: Paradummy

Nope, I can't find any one with info' on this type of dummy..

I wonder if it was just a "one-off"?

It would be interesting to know whether the original image is captioned in the National Archives. As stated, it looks like MT overalls and a hessian sack for a head. I suspect that there were probably quite a few of these overalls knocking about, especially in worn out condition that could sewn up. I guess even twenty thrown out of a plane would cause quite a bit of confusion and panic and divert troops on the ground.

?

My guess would be. RAF parachute test dummy. At times it was required to test a parachute. The RAF used test dummies for this use. The dummy in the picture has webbing strap stiched in the locations were the parachute webbing would be located. Probably to avoid wear. I recall that at first, pre-war, every delivered parachute had to be tested and life size parachute dummies were used (required to be of a certain size and weight). I have seen photographs of some dummies without arms and legs. Later out of every delivered batch of parachutes some had to be tested.