Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help authenticating 101st airborne patches

Article about: Dear Fellow collectors, I bought this patch last May and would like to know if this is an original type 3 patch from WW2? Thanks for the help provided. Bas

Default Need help authenticating 101st airborne patches

Dear Fellow collectors,

I bought this patch last May and would like to know if this is an original type 3 patch from WW2?

Thanks for the help provided.

Bas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help authenticating 101st airborne patches   Need help authenticating 101st airborne patches  

Need help authenticating 101st airborne patches   Need help authenticating 101st airborne patches  

Hi Bas

I dont really follow the "types" on Bando site only if a SSI is WWII or post WWII.

Tab and patch is a good WWII era

Note with solid black eye these were also used Post WWII if you see the khaki edge extended and not cut back to the edge and also if its embroidered on black twill.

cheers

Phill

Dear Phill,

Thank you for your reply. Do you mean that my piece has an extended khaki edge and that it may therefore be produced after WWII? Or do you mean that my piece has a cut back edge and therefore is produced during WWII? Could you also post an example with extended versus cut back edge so I can learn the difference?

Thanks for your additional assistance.

Bas

He stated it is WW2 era. Also what to look for in that style to determine post WW2.
    John

Hi Bas

I will preface this with the following:

There were approx 500 manufacturers (shiffli embroidery Association 1969) who produced US SSI during and after the war. This ranged from mom and pop embroiderers to major manufacturing companies.

During WWII each patch was hand cut back to the edge,this was done by volunteers ,a patriotic way of helping the war effort, and yes I do have an image of patches been cut-72,OOO,OOO were produced(American Legion 1951).

The 101st due to its uniques design has had many variations during and post WWII.

So you will have a mixture of Post WWII manufacturers embroidered on khaki, Black or dark blue twill as well as cut back to the edge.

Beleive you me it does get confusing , if you look online every 101 is WWII including reproductions!!

Also manufacturers did not make major changes in their production from 1942-1955, they used the same machines, individuals, tape, method of productionetc..

Here are several WWII eagles yours are the same , a little khaki twill showing but still WWII era

Need help authenticating 101st airborne patchesNeed help authenticating 101st airborne patches
    Need help authenticating 101st airborne patchesNeed help authenticating 101st airborne patches

Post WWII
    Now this will be confusing note #1the black twill slight extended ,patch #2 50% embroidered 101st Training Division c 1950's.

Patch #3 is scibble eye, khaki twill but cut back to edge , you have to have in hand to judge post WWII as it has adhesive or starch backed that were experimented late 40's, some will say WWII but in my collection it is post WWII.

Need help authenticating 101st airborne patchesNeed help authenticating 101st airborne patchesNeed help authenticating 101st airborne patches

Search on the forum for more input

cheers

Phill

Dear Phill,

Many thanks for your additional explanation, I am rest assured about the authenticity of my patch. Your examples with the khaki twill cut back to the edge made it clear and now I fully understand what you were trying to convey. I also saw another post where the khaki twill is extended and now I fully understand the difference. I also learned from your posts that there are subtle nuances in the style of the eagle (such as different scibble eye shape) that may point to post war production.

Thanks I learned a lot from your posts.

Bas