Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on 82nd and 11th airborne patches

Article about: Hi all, I was looking at these two patches to add to my small patch collection and was wondering if they are both correct for the WW2 era. I believe the 82nd airborne one is good as it match

Default Opinions on 82nd and 11th airborne patches

Hi all, I was looking at these two patches to add to my small patch collection and was wondering if they are both correct for the WW2 era. I believe the 82nd airborne one is good as it matches other ww2 82nd patches I've seen and is cut out without a lot of the material hanging off the edge. I've read that a sign of a 50's era patch is a lot of excess material hanging off the edge of the patch. The 11th airborne one I'm less sure of since all the other ones I've seen that look similar to this one come from Korean War era Ike jackets and it has a lot of excess material on the edges of it. Thank you for reading and any information.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on 82nd and 11th airborne patches   Opinions on 82nd and 11th airborne patches  

Opinions on 82nd and 11th airborne patches   Opinions on 82nd and 11th airborne patches  

Hi PF

I agree with your assumption.

Very little manufacturing had changed from 1944-54 apart from the twill that was not trimmed back to the edge as you see in WWII era patches. The machinery, individuals, materials and the schiffli card systems they used were the same.

All WWII era patches were hand trimmed back to the edge,all factories employed , mainly women as a patriotic chore to help the war effort. We assume in the 1950's this was stopped to save money and time.

There several other issues to add to this.

Airborne SSI and tabs have been mixed , I have white backed patches that were issued to a WWII veteran who served in the 82nd in 1951!

I have about 20 odd 11th Abn to include post WWII , some of them are tough to call, if im not a hundy % I put as post WWII!!!

Phill

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi PF

I agree with your assumption.

Very little manufacturing had changed from 1944-54 apart from the twill that was not trimmed back to the edge as you see in WWII era patches. The machinery, individuals, materials and the schiffli card systems they used were the same.

All WWII era patches were hand trimmed back to the edge,all factories employed , mainly women as a patriotic chore to help the war effort. We assume in the 1950's this was stopped to save money and time.

There several other issues to add to this.

Airborne SSI and tabs have been mixed , I have white backed patches that were issued to a WWII veteran who served in the 82nd in 1951!

I have about 20 odd 11th Abn to include post WWII , some of them are tough to call, if im not a hundy % I put as post WWII!!!

Phill
    Thank you for the information! I can't exactly recall where I read it, but I do remember reading after the war ended a lot of the women in the industry were laid off right after the war ended. I was just wondering do you think the tab on the 82nd is mismatched as it does an excess of twill around the edge.

I think we are splitting hairs re 1945-52 , no one will ever know the "date" when a patch is produced.

Unless I was doing a specific display there are other better 82nd patches to be more comfortable with as WWII.
    In my collection I would put as post WWII 1948-55 period. I know others will disagree however the tab does have that extra twill showing and the SSI to me looks post WWII.
    Again its subjective.
    Note All Airborne tabs were rescinded from 1946-1948 and individuals used the SSI only during this period.

I have about 6 x 82nd that went from WWII to 1950's era,because I wasn't happy , your not alone!

Phill