Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a original British Paratrooper helmet?

Article about: Hello, I would like to purchase this helmet but I want to know if it is all original. This is what is stated my the seller. English paratroopers helmet, adopted at the end 1943, manufacturin

Question Is this a original British Paratrooper helmet?

Hello, I would like to purchase this helmet but I want to know if it is all original.

This is what is stated by the seller.

English paratroopers helmet, adopted at the end 1943,

manufacturing B.M.B. 1943
    Large size 7 1/2,

85% original paint,

light khaki chin strap with almost unreadable marking,

complete with his camo net.

Is this a original British Paratrooper helmet?Is this a original British Paratrooper helmet?
    Is this a original British Paratrooper helmet?Is this a original British Paratrooper helmet?
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 06-22-2020 at 10:08 AM.

hard to say when the net was added to the helmet, not period imo though the helmet looks good from what can be seen, but can't really see the paint with the net on it so it might have been repainted post war as many were as they continued in service until the 1980's, also hard to see if the chinstrap is WWII or later
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Some more pictures.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    hard to say when the net was added to the helmet, not period imo though the helmet looks good from what can be seen, but can't really see the paint with the net on it so it might have been repainted post war as many were as they continued in service until the 1980's, also hard to see if the chinstrap is WWII or later
    I agree entirely. The scrim in particular looks very recent. I had a long and intimate love/hate relationship with hessian cloth (aka burlap to some users) and this looks like it was done this morning.

If it has that much paint remaining that quite likely indicates a repaint as Jerry said which wouldn't be a bad thing in itself because British steel helmets have traditionally been repainted many times whilst in service as routine maintenance. The issue would be when it was done and whether the paint used is authentic. If it is a selling point why isn't it pictured without the net? What paint I can see looks very much like recent NATO green. The liner looks fine so the helmet probably is too but it certainly doesn't look like a "barn find". It is still possible to find NOS chinstraps because as already said these were used right up to the introduction of the composite helmets and the webbing chintraps were expendable/replaceable by design. They are even found on some early composite helmets as are the Mk6 straps because the original vinyl items were so awful. You need to have a very close look at this one to decide how much is actully wartime and how much is later.

In short I think it likely an original helmet that has been "pimped".

Regards

Mark

PS The large number of names etc inside the liner would suggest much more than just wartime use.Also the stiching on the buckle section in pic three looks more like a post war type to me and I am not sure that the crown pad should be brown rather than black.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-22-2020 at 12:28 PM. Reason: PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you both very much for your input, I'll probably take a pass on it now.

Regards
    Vince

The BMB stamp looks off.

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    The BMB stamp looks off. Cheers,Emile
    Hi Emile,

I couldn't see that here so I looked on the website where there is a better picture and you are correct, it does look very odd. The shield is mishapen, the '9' in 19 seems very wrong and the actual size within the shield looks to be at a funny angle. In fact every character seems to be out of shape. Well spotted

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

often the money in these is that they are untouched wartime issued and used, post war use especially repainting lessens the value and as this seems to have a dodgy makers mark on it, value is a fraction of what an untouched wartime example would fetch. probably san original post war example from the multiple naming that mark noticed and had a bogus wartime stamp added as emile commented on.

probably not worth getting unless very very cheap

post war used examples are still worth having, I have one as are post war made examples, but messed with examples are not worth a lot.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.