Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Parachute

Article about: It was on the harness. I am not going to open it since I am concerned I can't get it put back together again. Thank you very much for your help

Default Parachute

I was given this parachute as a gift and don't know anything about it. Can anyone identify it and tell me more about it? I don't know what era it comes from, but would love to know more about it. Thank you very much for your assistance!

ParachuteParachute

Default Re: Parachute

No real idea, other than not WW2. Certainly 1960's onwards.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks. That's what I thought as well, but I am not sure how old it is.

?

I tried to google search images of this rig last night and looked at a lot of different variations of this style of parachute pack and tray and I do agree with Adrian that it is late 60s through mid 70's IMO.
    You may have better luck on this forum (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com)as a lot of the images I looked at were linked to this site.
    They had a lot of detailed descriptions and some very good discussions on US parachutes and related equipment ie....packs/trays/harnesses and field gear.

Regards Mark K.

For some reason I can not get the link to work if you type it in to your search engine it will bring you to the site .

Excellent! Thank you very much for your help

?

Its a 60s or early 70s military skydive rig judging by the flexi ripcord tube, pack size and early capewell release system, newer capewells have safety covers over them. Possibly a T10 chute or a para commander, there should be a patch on the pack somewhere which will have type, manufacture date.

Thank you Jumper! I will look for the patch you mentioned. I have not found it it yet, but perhaps it's hidden somewhere

?

sometimes they go blank after so much use or removed if the rig was obtained shall we say lol (it happens) have you opened it to see what type of canopy yet? If you do, lay out the rig to full length, including the rigging lines, keep the lines apart and and check the master panel in the chute ( the chute needs to be pack to the ground with the harness facing you, holding the rigging lines seperate in each hand walk towards the canopy, when you get to the skirt of the canopy, the panel on top should be the master panel) on the master panel you will see stamped the type and date of manufacture of the chute. hope this helps
    Regards
    Doug

Thank you for your help! I finally found the tag. I was surprised to see it was manufactured in 1953!

?

Is that the harness or the canopy? Because of the capewell release system there may be a newer type parachute inside, just remember if you do open it, stand the pack up and angle it towards the ground before you pull the ripcord, because if it is an older rig, chance are it will have one or two spring loaded drogue chutes in there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast