Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Post-War Para Beret and Insignia

Article about: Good afternoon all, Was clearing out my loft when l came across these pieces belonging to my grandfather. Does anyone have anymore information on these as l can find very little on this (the

?

Default Post-War Para Beret and Insignia

Good afternoon all,

Was clearing out my loft when l came across these pieces belonging to my grandfather. Does anyone have anymore information on these as l can find very little on this (the beret especially) any help is appreciated.

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post-War Para Beret and Insignia   Post-War Para Beret and Insignia  

Post-War Para Beret and Insignia   Post-War Para Beret and Insignia  

Post-War Para Beret and Insignia   Post-War Para Beret and Insignia  

Quick reply as I am working;

Beret is to 15th (Scotish Volunteer) Battalion Parachute Regiment, denoted by the "Hunting Stewart" tartan patch. At the time relevant to this beret the Bn was part of the TAVR or "Territorial Army Volunteer Reserve. It has since reduced to a company in 4PARA also a reserve unit. An interesting beret for airborne collectors.

The two large cloth badges are blazer badges ie civilian wear.

The small blue parachute badge is from the parachute manufacturer Irvine and is a lapel badge that was handed out by the company to personnel in relevant liaison connections. I still have one somewhere.

The two red metal badges I can't really see as the picture is too small but they look akin to the "catapiller club" idea to mark the in-service use of parachutes. Don't know for sure, just an idea.

The really small badge I just can't make out but if it is a small representation of the cap badge as it looks to me then it is another lapel badge. I don't know of any particular significance.

The cap badge itself looks like a standard post '53 and pre- staybright metal badge.

Nice little group especially if there is provenance.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mark.

PS Forgot the bullion wing. It is for the No1 Dress uniform.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-13-2020 at 01:38 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."