MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Escape button compass

Article about: Part of an old collection I am selling at work on Nov 20th. Cheers, Ade.

Default RAF Escape button compass

Part of an old collection I am selling at work on Nov 20th.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Escape button compass   RAF Escape button compass  

RAF Escape button compass   RAF Escape button compass  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Very cool . I would lose money working at your auction house.

Don't worry I do too!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

What an awesome piece of history!
    Edit: the more I think of it, I would like to know where I can follow this auction. Is it possible to bid online?

Chris

Lee
    ?

Is there a way to tell if the button is a compass one? do they open easily?

Quote by Lee View Post
    Is there a way to tell if the button is a compass one? do they open easily?
    They weigh slightly more than a normal button and if you’re lucky you might hear a slight rattle. The screw threads are quite tight as, naturally, they were designed not to be discovered. Despite this the Germans did discover the earlier buttons with a clockwise thread. The thread was then reversed by the boffins at Mi9 so if you go around trying every button you might inadvertently be tightening it!

Lee
    ?

thank you for the information. looking through my collection of buttons crossing my fingers lol

I will have another one of these coming up for sale later this year at my new place of work, Bamfords Auctioneers in Derby, England.

Cheers, Ade.

Here it is! Coming up at Bamfords in March.

WW2 British RAF Escape button compass. Reverse of the button is marked "JR Guant & Son, London". The back of the button unscrews with a left hand thread to reveal an escape compass.

Superb example and it should do well.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Escape button compass   RAF Escape button compass