Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

SAS red beret 50s opinions

Article about: Is it an original badge ?

?

Default SAS red beret 50s opinions

Is it an original badge ?

Impossible to say based upon the picture supplied. But from what I see the badge isn't good.

?

This is all

Tanks

?

What do you think about the badge?

Quote by Decima View Post
    What do you think about the badge?
    Well, BC replied above that the badge doesn't look good and I would agree. Look at the huge gap between the W and H in the word Who. I don't like the very blue colour of the scroll (even badges from the 80's are not that bright and this is trying to be an officers bullion badge (the embroidery pattern is wrong too I believe) so it should be an officers quality beret which from these pics I would say it isn't. The lining material looks like enlisted quality and the picture does not show the all important ventilation eyelets or whether there is any component stitched behind where the cap badge is. Also the stiching around the leather band doesn't look right for a period officers beret. It could of course be down to the pictures but to me this looks like a far more recent beret that has been "aged"

Far better pictures with more detail are required to be sure but for me I don't like it. It is always well to remember that if a seller is not showing the relevant details and no more pictures are available then there is probably a reason for that. And it should be remembered that The SAS reverted to the beige colour beret in 1956 so this would be a rare and therefore expensive piece. Not a good idea to get it wrong!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-20-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Well, BC replied above that the badge doesn't look good and I would agree. Look at the huge gap between the W and H in the word Who. I don't like the very blue colour of the scroll (even badges from the 80's are not that bright and this is trying to be an officers bullion badge (the embroidery pattern is wrong too I believe) so it should be an officers quality beret which from these pics I would say it isn't. The lining material looks like enlisted quality and the picture does not show the all important ventilation eyelets or whether there is any component stitched behind where the cap badge is. Also the stiching around the leather band doesn't look right for a period officers beret. It could of course be down to the pictures but to me this looks like a far more recent beret that has been "aged"

Far better pictures with more detail are required to be sure but for me I don't like it. It is always well to remember that if a seller is not showing the relevant details and no more pictures are available then there is probably a reason for that. And it should be remembered that The SAS reverted to the beige colour beret in 1956 so this would be a rare and therefore expensive piece. Not a good idea to get it wrong!

Regards

Mark
    Thanks you are a friend!

beret does not look correct for the period it is claimed to be, looks newer than 1950s, when the SAS stopped wearing the maroon beret in 1958.

The bullion officers badge looks modern and is probably a commercial badge, though if it was on a more modern beret it might well be correct, but not on a maroon beret.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.