Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

st nazaire raid help needed

Article about: hi guys need some help on this , i have some medals and paper work , but it is a bit of a mystery to me the guy is a driver, but was a the raid in Nazaire see paper work and news cutting ,

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Maybe I’m being a bit delicate, however, I don’t feel that we (as a forum community) are here to authentic items so that someone can make money from it, especially when that advice is ignored. Personally I feel that it’s bad form.

WW2 Medal Group & Paperwork St Nazaire Raid and airborne links ??? | eBay
    A pity, I agree that there is no link to Operation Chariot and that any interest in this group by the op was purely financially driven.

I don’t believe that he was at the St Nazaire raid (Operation Chariot), but rather part of the BEF retreating in 1940.

For more information see here: Operation Aerial - Wikipedia
    I agree that the St Nazaire reference relates to the BEF evacuation in 1940 and of course Op Chariot took place in 1942. That involved Commando troops rather than Airborne.

I am curious to know why you think he was in the RAOC (Royal Army Ordnance Corps) when the documents identify him as a member of REME (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers)?

The news cutting refers to RE but that is a common error amongst civilians in particular who do not appreciate the difference between REME and RE (Royal Engineers).

More interestingly the documents shown indicate that he was a member of 1st Airborne Division Workshop REME which means he was very likely parachute qualified.

All the countries listed as "visited" are places where 1st Abn Div did operate so some interesting reading for you there!

I hope this is helpful but as I type I notice you have added pages of the AB 64 Paybook so I'll have a squint at them ow and post again is necessary

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Maybe I’m being a bit delicate, however, I don’t feel that we (as a forum community) are here to authentic items so that someone can make money from it, especially when that advice is ignored. Personally I feel that it’s bad form.

Hmm, I didn't see this until after I posted. I agree entirely, your point is well made and not "indelicate" at all. Don't think I'll trouble myself further.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

i would like to point out that this was not a bout money , i bought the medals , with just the cutting to go on it would have been part of my collection , and a nice lot to keep but , , there is no raid involvement, ,, just like you chaps when you post on here , is it real or fake
    that is the point of this . forum . to ask , , medals and paper work tell the story of the people that was there ..,just to point out if you had a para helmet with no name on it ,, would you like it more than one that had a name on that you could say he was at arnhem
    but having said all that all that fought in ww1 and ww2 , was all heroes, you can not put a price on men, ..

unfair to think that money is motivated

The problem for you Firefox,this forum is here to help collectors and to foster a community of passionate and dedicated Guardians of History, which we like to help fellow collectors enhance there memorabilia with our knowledge at no expense.

You came on,asked for assisstance and members here went out of their way to help.

You then went to sell it on ebay, not once but twice and used a members post to help sell your items.

Your intent was basically to make money of these good folks, that is not appreciated.

Hopefully you will compensate this oversite, by donating your winnings to the UK Armed Forces Charity.

SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity

Please let us know how your honourable, gentleman's gesture works out.

regards and have a lovely day.

Phill

Well said Phil but I am not holding my breath for an (appropriate) answer

Regards

Mark

Perhaps hope that the items have at least found a good home for now, from the pictures of the group I wouldn't be too certain the medals were actually original to the ephemera - they did look very well polished. But will move along, nothing more to see here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2