Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British HSAT, are they all non magnetic?

Article about: Hi Chaps, I have just purchased my first helmet and unfortunately the moment it arrived I had to head out for a couple if days. So I only had a very quick look at it. BMB maker, 1944 dated.

Default WW2 British HSAT, are they all non magnetic?

Hi Chaps, I have just purchased my first helmet and unfortunately the moment it arrived I had to head out for a couple of days. So I only had a very quick look at it. BMB maker, 1944 dated.

When I return home tomorrow, I will post some photos. To my novice eye and from what I have seen online, it looks right and has an age smell, but I am concerned because I have read that all WW2 British airborne helmets were non magnetic (apparently made of manganese steel). I did ask the seller if it was non magnetic and he confirmed it was. But on my very quick look yesterday, I found a small magnet does attach to it. The magnet does not snap hard against it (like other steel items I had to hand), but it does stick. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for your help.

?

Any pics yet?

Hi, on my return and having now had a chance for a proper look, when I placed the magnet on an area of the helmet with no fittings (so from inside on just the shell), it did not stick. I will take a couple of shots shortly.

Some photos of the helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British HSAT, are they all non magnetic?   WW2 British HSAT, are they all non magnetic?  

WW2 British HSAT, are they all non magnetic?   WW2 British HSAT, are they all non magnetic?  

WW2 British HSAT, are they all non magnetic?  

?

Looks like you have a nicely used original helmet.