Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

1940 Battledress Reproduction?

Article about: Hello! I have bought this 1940 pattern battledress assuming it is a reproduction but would would like to have confirmation. (just to be sure none of it is original). I do believe the ribbon

?

Default 1940 Battledress Reproduction?

Hello!
    I have bought this 1940 pattern battledress assuming it is a reproduction but would would like to have confirmation. (just to be sure none of it is original).
    I do believe the ribbon bars are original. The airborne patch looks wrongly placed and one of the unicorns seems to be facing the wrong direction. The odd thing is that the matching pair of patches are actually very different when compared. Could one be original? or are they both repros.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Sorry about my low quality photos.

Regards,
    Daniel

?

Hello,
    After comparing photos of originals I have found that there seem to be originals of both types of pegasus patches that are on this jacket (unless my eyes are deceiving me). I still can't entirely tell if my examples are original.
    With my little to no knowledge and experience in these, my guess would be the ribbon bars are original, the pegasus patches are good but there are two left sleeve patches, the airborne patch may be original, the wings are bad, and the tunic is a reproduction?

Was my guess/gut feeling correct at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Daniel

None of the patches are wartime originals imo, the wings are postwar, the peggies and airborne patches are copies, though the one might be ok
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    None of the patches are wartime originals imo, the wings are postwar, the peggies and airborne patches are copies, though the one might be ok
    I think Jerry has it pegged but on a point of order please don't call Pegasus a "unicorn" it is the winged horse of Greek mythology ridden by the original "airborne warrior" Bellerophon.

Any reference to a unicorn in the presence of British airborne troops will like have pretty incendiary results

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks Jerry For the help/information!
    ----------
    Thanks for pointing that out Mark! I had not intended it that way, but was a brain to typing coordination error on my part that went unnoticed by me. Sorry about that!

Regards,
    Daniel

?

Also, if I may ask, is the BD jacket itself original? I suspect its a reproduction but I do not own another wartime one to compare with in detail.
    Any help would be appreciated greatly!
    Thanks!

Regards,
    Daniel

Is there any manufacturer's label inside the jacket? Without one and date stamps I would suspect the authenticity.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Is there any manufacturer's label inside the jacket? Without one and date stamps I would suspect the authenticity.
    Unfortunately not. There is a square with broken and loose threads indicating there was a tag/ label at some point however it either fell apart or was removed.

Regards,
    Daniel