Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance

Article about: With ANZAC Day tomorrow, timely to post from my collection a matching New Zealand made (May 1942) and issued Battledress blouse and trousers. With the service number in both garments of Priv

Default 1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance

With ANZAC Day tomorrow, timely to post from my collection a matching New Zealand made (May 1942) and issued Battledress blouse and trousers. With the service number 32735 in both garments of Private Walter Gulliver a infantry man of the 25th (Wellington) Battalion, 3rd Echelon/ 6th Infantry Brigade, 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force.
    The 25th Battalion including Walter Gulliver embarked on the liner Mauretania in Wellington on 27 August 1940 and arrived at Suez 29 September 1940.
    They went into training and in April 1941 sent to Greece to slow the German advance, withdrawn to Egypt in May 1941 to join Desert campaign. Involved in Operation Crusader the 25th suffered 100 killed and 125 wounded. On to Syria in January to March 1942, the 25th were recalled to Egypt and were at El Alamein with 8th Army. Onward into Libya and Tunisia in January 1943. October 1943 the 25th Battalion arrived in Italy, they fought at Cassino, Treiste, Senio River and other battles. In August 1945 they began demobilisation after 5 years of active combat service. And Walter Gulliver was with them to the end.
    This battledress was probably issued to Walter in Italy and it's what he was wearing when he returned to New Zealand in late 1945. I received the blouse with his embarkation card for those being demobbed, and a train ticket. It would appear once home the uniform when into a wardrobe for 50 years.

The NZ battledress is based on the British 1937 pattern and made in NZ from 1939. It has some distinctive features like the six brass buttons. The 3rd Echelon were issued the BD uniform before departure from New Zealand in 1940.

1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance

1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance

A few photos of the 25th Battalion and 6th Infantry Brigade in Italy

1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance1942 New Zealand Battledress blouse & trousers with provenance

Really great to have a matching set and the history of the soldier. Very interesting history and additional photos Anderson? Do you think you will be able to find out more about him and what became of him after the war?

Thanks for showing.
    Andy

Happy ANZAC Day Peter.
    Fantastic set.

ANZAC Greetings to my Aussie mates! Here's a photo for you; "New Zealand and Australian soldiers meet up during the Battle for Crete in 1942"

?

A pleasure to see these.
    Great time to post them,and as I spent 30 odd years in Wellington before moving to Australia,a reminder of home.

Andy, yes I think so, but some personal information from the Army may be limited to family members.

Notice in the black & white photos the New Zealanders didn't carry a British Mk2 1937 entrenching tool but a fairly large spade usually tucked behind the backpack.