Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)

Article about: Well, a change up in collecting a month before I leave for boot. I’ve suddenly been drawing in by US collecting. I’ll try not to swamp the forum with posts but I’ve got a couple groupi

Default 28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)

Well, a change up in collecting a month before I leave for boot. I’ve suddenly been drawing in by US collecting. I’ll try not to swamp the forum with posts but I’ve got a couple groupings that I’m excited to share. Nothing incredible but some decent pieces.

I’ll start with this tunic, to the 28th Infantry Division, he was relatively well decorated and it makes for a lovely little tunic. From in hand inspection and some gents far more knowledgeable on US than myself the ribbons and CIB seem to be period applied, or at the very least they have been there a good long while. Unfortunately this tunic is not named, I tried to pursue what I think is a partial laundry number but came up with nothing.

Happy Hunting,
    Bodhi

28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)

Nice looking uniform Bodhi,

A nice early war tunic that the Soldier used as a Discharge uniform rather than convert over to the Ike pattern shorter dress coat. Maker's tag should be somewhere inside the coat or a pocket to verify manufacturing date.

Would like to see the back of the Combat Infantryman's Badge to see if there are markings.

Sad it is not named or marked, but it is a nice representation. The "Bloody Bucket" division (Nickname the Germans dubbed the "Keystone" Division) got beat up pretty badly in the Hurtgen Forest as well as in the Battle of the Bulge..

Smitty

?

Three possibilities found from the white laundry tag (assuming that’s I-7296):

36347296 Iavarone, Tony J. U.s. At Large 8 June 1942 1917

33777296 Iatesta, Joseph Alaska 22 April 1943 1917

33257296 Isenberg, Jack S. Blair, Pennsylvania 4 November 1942 1920

All three are listed as private.
    Any sound possible from location?

Edit: Dammit! I got the number wrong!
    I’ll try again...

Here is the CIB Smitty, I think it’s wartime but I’m new here so please correct me if it’s not. Would love your input as to if these are added or maybe original to the tunic, however I’ve been told it’s next to impossible to know without direct providence.

Pictures are under fairly yellow lighting as a heads up
    28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)28th Infantry Tunic (Bronze Star, Purple Heart)

Thank you Kohima! I’m a afraid this tunic came out of Minnesota, however if that’s its original location I have no idea as it came from another collector.

?

39107926 Inay, Emilio Y. Sacramento, California 30 September 1942 1907

35447926 Isabrandt, Harry S. Lawrence, Ohio 4 October 1942 1911

17047926 Ivey, Robert M. Hennepin, Minnesota 21 January 1942 1921

The CIB is WW2 era. A nice sterling marked example.

Well done and it looks like Kohima may have found a possible Soldier. I would pursue the Minnesota vet and see what develops. Sometimes these uniforms don't stray too far from the origins when collectors pick them up. Sometimes the collector can recall when/where they picked up uniforms, so this may be a good lead for you

Smitty

?

Inay, Emilio Yakan is listed as an Infantryman, PFC.

Unfortunately, the Minnesota veteran, Robert M. Ivey is recorded as:
    S/SGT Robert M. Ivey, Army Air Corps, Second Tactical Communications Squadron. Awarded the Bronze Star for Meritorious Service in direct support of combat operations from 25 Nov 1944 to 5 May 1945 in France and Germany. G.O. 200, HQ, 45th INF DIV.

Many thanks Kohima! I will work through these leads when I get back home.

The flat back Sterling silver clutches with the patent No are from 1943 Regards Paul.

Many thanks Paul!