Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp

Article about: There probably wouldn't be any bids if it was in the correct section Still a nice BD, never seen the 'sold out of service' stamp before... also, by my knowledge the 'C' on the inspection mar

Default 49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp

I noticed this one on ebay and it's had 3 bids, obviously a 49 pattern with a fake 1944 date. Hopefully none here are bidding on it.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
    Attached Images Attached Images 49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp  49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp  49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp  49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp  49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: 49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp

It could be a coincidence of numbers as opposed to a fake date. 1944 could be a unit stamp, inspector's number or even the ID of whoever authorised it for sale from the Army's stores, as it has a lovely sold out of service mark

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    It could be a coincidence of numbers as opposed to a fake date. 1944 could be a unit stamp, inspector's number or even the ID of whoever authorised it for sale from the Army's stores, as it has a lovely sold out of service mark

Rob
    Indeed, the extra marking is a bonus, but the seller clearly has it listed incorrectly as a WWII example - BATTLEDRESS BDU DATED 1944 IN SUPERB CONDITION - and though you might be right, to me the 1944 looks to have been added at a later date than the rest of the markings.
    Regards,

Jerry

What are the differences between this pattern and earlier patterns? Forgive me, I know absolutely nothing about British battledress...

Quote by Bond View Post
    Indeed, the extra marking is a bonus, but the seller clearly has it listed incorrectly as a WWII example - BATTLEDRESS BDU DATED 1944 IN SUPERB CONDITION - and though you might be right, to me the 1944 looks to have been added at a later date than the rest of the markings.
    It could bea fake date, I was trying to look on the positive side On the serious side, i have seen similar stamps on BDs before, but.... who knows. Keep in mind we are not talking about endlessly faked Nazi militaria here...

As for eBay, I have seen 1949s listed as WWII with clear and photographed 1954 dates

Rob

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    What are the differences between this pattern and earlier patterns? Forgive me, I know absolutely nothing about British battledress...
    In basic terms, it's mostly to do with the shape of the collar and the buttons, whether they are all covered, all exposed or a mixture of covered and exposed. You also have to look out for foreign made examples which can be confusing, with for example the post war Greek examples looking like war time British issues.

Firstly you get P37 with all covered buttons and it closes all the way to the neck, with a double hook & eye closure.
    Then P40, as above except with all buttons exposed, though there can be some variations as to regards pleated pockets.
    There is also a P42, which is as above, with some minor variations.
    Then comes P46, which I don't have a handy picture of, but it has a different collar fixing, with a tab and button rather than a hook & eye.
    Next is the P47, with an open shirt type collar.
    Finally comes the P49, with covered pocket buttons, but exposed closure buttons and an open collar.

There are variations with regards to types of buttons and placement of pockets etc...But this covers most of the main variations, though US, Canadian, Australian, Indian, S African and NZ made examples have their own variations.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    It could bea fake date, I was trying to look on the positive side On the serious side, i have seen similar stamps on BDs before, but.... who knows. Keep in mind we are not talking about endlessly faked Nazi militaria here...

As for eBay, I have seen 1949s listed as WWII with clear and photographed 1954 dates

Rob
    Nearly all BD's listed on Ebay have WWII in the description or title, from those I have seen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp   49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp  

49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp   49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp  

Attached Images Attached Images 49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp  49 pattern BD with 1944 fake date stamp 
    Last edited by Jerry B; 06-03-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

I agree, this is probably a deliberate fake. the 1944 numbers look added on and I notice the maker/size label that usually has the real date on it has been removed, these are always still present, even if washed out.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I did a technical specification breakdown of wartime British BD here: Clarification of British uniforms (UK, no Canada, Australia, India, etc., just UK)

I can continue that with the post-War ones too:

1946 Pattern
    (Specification MS197 of 2nd February 1946). This collar of this blouse was now fixed with a button and tab fitting rather than hooks and eyes. The breast pockets now had box pleats although the buttons were still exposed. The buttons down the front of the blouse were, however, in a fly.

1947 Pattern
    (Specification UK/CIC/1843 of 28th October 1947). This blouse was similar to the 1947 Pattern except that the collar was of a design known as the "shirt-type" collar similar to the collar on the American "Ike Jacket".

1949 Pattern
    (Specification UK/CIC/1866C of 7th April 1949). This pattern had a stepped collar with lapels which was designed not to be worn closed. Otherwise it was similar to the 1947 Pattern. A hangar was fitted at the neck. A specification for 9th March 1954 stated that three buttonholes for attachment to the trousers were to be fitted. However, this was never carried out.

The one we are talking about is the 1949 Pattern, of course.

Rob

Notice the 'date' appears more than once. I've seen dealers
    do this with post-war items to make better money.

Shameful.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Notice the 'date' appears more than once. I've seen dealers
    do this with post-war items to make better money.

Shameful.........!
    After having looked at it a couple of time, I actually don't see any evidence to suggest it is necessarily a 'fake' date. It could be, but I think it's just a number stamped onto the blouse. Whatever it is, it has been there a while.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast