MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?

Article about: Hello all, I just wanted to get some opinions on this M43 Field Jacket. I personally own 3 M43 Field Jackets; however, none of the ones I own have any patches or chevrons to go with them, ju

Default 82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?

Hello all, I just wanted to get some opinions on this M43 Field Jacket. I personally own 3 M43 Field Jackets; however, none of the ones I own have any patches or chevrons to go with them, just the plain typical M43 Jacket itself. This M43 caught my eye as it retains the 82nd Airborne patch with rank chevrons. However, I know a lot of patches (especially 82nd and 101st) were added post-war by collectors. I just wanted to get some opinions on the patches as to if they're original to this jacket or perhaps added post-war, any and all comments and opinions are welcome as always, thanks!

82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?

I'm willing to bet the patches were added post war. Take a black light to the white thread and I bet it will glow. Also take a look at the od thread the flag is sewn on with...I think this was made up to be a Operation market garden set up for a reenactment or display.. one more thing,,,take a look at how the corporal chevron's are sewn on. What color thread?? Black or od thread..
    It's just odd that the 82nd is machine sewn and the US flag is hand sewn, now not uncommon for a soldier to be issued the flag and then have it hand sewn on but I do have doubts..

Smitty

Thanks for the quick reply; I had some doubts about it too, but wanted it to check out haha. I've been meaning to pick up a nice M43 with patches but guess I'll continue looking for the right one, thanks again for the help!

Let some others take a look at it brother...but I don't have a warm and fuzzy

Smitty

I'd expect to see shadow underneath/inside the patches, I can't see any here!
    Similar to this picture -

I'd agree with both Smitty and René.

Do the UV test if it glows you know its been added at the earliest 1960's onwards.

Three types of stitching?

Th patch and tab to me looks hand sewn note the irregular length of stitch, that also could of been a treadle peddled powered sewing machine. Electric machines tend to be even and regular.

The flag has od thread and stitched horizontal and verticle.

Also the stitching on the chevrons maybe different.

A clue, again, might be what Smitty and others who have noticed how reenactors do this but you have to ask the question , its an invasion flag , one would think the stitching would all be the same style and colour thread?

Phill

?

Hi CHB!
    Irregular hand-stitching to a piece of insignia is no indication of originality... the thread type and natural ageing, however, is (neither of which look good here).
    I believe these arm flags were issued to, and applied by, the individual themselves and, thus, the quality of application would vary tremendously.

Various insignia was routinely issued and added at different times, so a mismatch of threads and methods would not be uncommon.
    Furthermore, the need for security, while in transit, called for frequent adding and removal of SSI.
    Various other badges, such as rank chevrons, would have been added and removed, according to promotion/demotion, often in the field, by the individual themselves.
    Very few soldiers were skilled tailors, or often particularly cared about the end result, so the standards of hand-stitching could be all over the place. It was just something else they had to do.
    As the war progressed, soldiers were increasingly less inclined to fit any insignia at all, even rank, to their field jackets.

The tedious glut of airborne re-enactors means that vast numbers of once good and original items have been messed about with. The overwhelming majority of such items are merely dressed up and the odds of finding an original airborne field jacket are extremely small indeed.
    I would only buy such an item from a very trusted source, or a veteran’s family, or a lucky break in a charity shop!
    Don’t get carried away mate.

All the best,
    Bob

I'm really starting to get into Army field jackets, M41s and M43s.. it's been pretty hard to find any nice, war patched jackets that aren't around the $800-$1000 aud range.. general m43s seem to be less costly but I'd love to find myself a good ww2 example if anyone knows a good place to look lol.. Nice jacket though, I have a identical one. Reproduction of course

I'm thinking the same as the rest on your uniform. Sorry.

Everyone who says that it is rare for M43s to have any insignia is correct. However, some still eked through. Here is my 4th Infantry Division M43. It may be hard to tell in the photos, but the insignia has been on this jacket for a long time. The unit patch and chevrons have snuggled down a bit into the sleeves versus your jacket where it looks like the insignia is just sitting on top. Something to consider for the future.

82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?82nd Airborne M43 Field Jacket?