Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

9th AF bullion pilots uniform

Article about: I got this jacket a few weeks ago, but never got around to posting it because I'm lazy. It's not the best example, having a few moth nips and rough wear along the bottom, but this is my firs

Default 9th AF bullion pilots uniform

I got this jacket a few weeks ago, but never got around to posting it because I'm lazy.

It's not the best example, having a few moth nips and rough wear along the bottom, but this is my first Bullion patched jacket. It belonged to a Pilot according to the bullion wings on black felt. His name, W.H. Woods is written and stamped on the jacket liner a few times, along with some sort of number, O-814815. The seller didn't know who the jacket belonged to previously, but did say that he originally picked it up at a yard sale in North Carolina.

9th AF bullion pilots uniform9th AF bullion pilots uniform9th AF bullion pilots uniform9th AF bullion pilots uniform

MAP
    ?

Great bullion insignia. Nice find!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The number, O-814815, is his service number - the O denoting an officer (an enlisted or NCO rank would show the initial of the man’s surname).
    Very nice find.

Unfortunately, there were many hundreds of W.H.Woods... I’ve found a few possibles, but nothing concrete.
    Last edited by Kohima; 05-05-2023 at 11:30 AM.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    The number, O-814815, is his service number - the O denoting an officer (an enlisted or NCO rank would show the initial of the man’s surname).
    Very nice find.

Unfortunately, there were many hundreds of W.H.Woods... I’ve found a few possibles, but nothing concrete.
    That's pretty cool though, I never knew about Officer service numbers

Rusty,

Nice uniform. It may be possible to search for the pilot on websites dedicated to the 9th Air Force.

Might take a while, but it may be possible

Smitty

?

Of course, the ‘O’ is not a guarantee of officer status, as there were plenty of enlisted men with surnames beginning with O!

Kohima,

You were correct about the O-designation for officer. I did a very cursory search and I found a 2LT William H Woods who served with the 93rd Bomb Squadron, but they were with the 8th Air Force, Soooo,,, The search continues. Not saying the initials are for William but it was the first hit that came up. He was awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster to his Air Medal in 1944.

Smitty