Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

ADSEC OISE Jacket with assault arrowhead ETO Ribbon

Article about: Here today we have a nice ADSEC Medical Ike, that was part of a small grouping. (an ADSEC wool service shirt was included, but not photographed) Unfortunately there is no name, number or any

Default ADSEC OISE Jacket with assault arrowhead ETO Ribbon

ADSEC OISE Jacket with assault arrowhead ETO RibbonADSEC OISE Jacket with assault arrowhead ETO RibbonADSEC OISE Jacket with assault arrowhead ETO RibbonADSEC OISE Jacket with assault arrowhead ETO RibbonADSEC OISE Jacket with assault arrowhead ETO Ribbon

Here today we have a nice ADSEC Medical Ike, that was part of a small grouping. (an ADSEC wool service shirt was included, but not photographed) Unfortunately there is no name, number or anything to ID who it belonged to. In the front breast pocket I found a small OSIE tab that went under the ETO patch. There are signs that this tab was on the jacket at one point, but why it was removed, who knows. Luftwaffe1941 has an ADSEC OISE Medical jacket too, so who knows, maybe the same two guys served in the same hospital!

The jacket has a July 1944 date, and is in outstanding condition, not a single moth hole I can find.

The weird one about this is the ribbons. The fellow has on his ETO ribbon, an arrowhead, meaning that he was in an amphibious assault, combat parachute jump, or Combat Glider landing. ADSEC medical soldiers, as far as I know, never did this. Was the man in another unit that participated in D-Day then he got transferred to ADSEC? I have no idea. Another weird feature is that someone put tape behind the ribbons so I guess he wouldn't get poked. The tape is really old, and looks like it's been there forever.

One of histories mysteries.

Next week, I cannot wait to show y'all my Normandy Identified Ike Jacket!

Rusty,

Interesting jacket but the ADSEC tab is supposed to be worn over the ETO Advanced Base patch and the OISE should go below.

If you can, try to find a copy of the book "Spearheading D-Day" American Special Units in Normandy by Jonathan Gawne.

Chapter 9 on page 266 talks about the ADSEC units. The first ADSEC units landed roughly one week after D-Day but they discovered that the front lines had not advanced as far into France as planned. This could be the reason for the Bronze Arrowhead Device and this person could have still been considered part of the assault troops a week after D-Day since the area around the beaches was still not secured..

I will try to find some more information for you if I have some time.

I can't scan the pages due to the size of the book

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Rusty,

Interesting jacket but the ADSEC tab is supposed to be worn over the ETO Advanced Base patch and the OISE should go below.

If you can, try to find a copy of the book "Spearheading D-Day" American Special Units in Normandy by Jonathan Gawne.

Chapter 9 on page 266 talks about the ADSEC units. The first ADSEC units landed roughly one week after D-Day but they discovered that the front lines had not advanced as far into France as planned. This could be the reason for the Bronze Arrowhead Device and this person could have still been considered part of the assault troops a week after D-Day since the area around the beaches was still not secured..

I will try to find some more information for you if I have some time.

I can't scan the pages due to the size of the book

Smitty
    Do you think it's put together? I've seen a couple jackets with the ADSEC Tab on the left shoulder, so it didn't hit me as strange.

Rusty,

I would have to do some more research.

It looks OK but closer examination of the tab and sewing in the inside of the coat may reveal more information. I have seen stranger patch combinations so I don't rule anything out.

Smitty

Hi Rusty/Smitty

I can only comment on the tab and patch.

The ADCEC tab was locally authorized , normally worn over HQETOUSA and also under with another tab on top.

Because these were unoficial they could be worn in any manor with any other unofficial tabs and SSI.

Tabs could have any inscription either unit, location etc...

Below are several in my collection, Brit made examples Oise is German made.

Phill

sorry muffed the images
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ADSEC OISE Jacket with assault arrowhead ETO Ribbon   ADSEC OISE Jacket with assault arrowhead ETO Ribbon  

Rusty,

I looked at some other examples of ADSEC uniforms and there appears to be no issue with the fact that the ADSEC Tab is worn on the opposite shoulder. As Phill has indicated theses were unofficial and could be worn in any manner, so I think your uniform is fine.

In regards to the ribbons, I was researching the criteria a little more in regards to the arrowhead device and was possibly thinking that there was a window of time when the device could have been granted for folks that were not on the initial assault, but that research did not pan out, so I am still a little curious about the ribbons. Now since you indicated that the tape (which looks like cloth medical tape) had been in place for a long time, the ribbons may also be correct for the uniform.

As I said before I have seen stranger things on uniforms that in any other circumstance may not have been appropriate but were OK.

Smitty

That's good to know. I took a look at the stitching and turned it inside out to check and everything looks as it should.

I cannot wait for everyone to see my next ADSEC Ike, as it is veteran ID'd to an engineer who served in Normandy.