Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Amphibious Ike jacket

Article about: I recently picked up this cool Ike jacket and wanted to share it with you guys. It has a beautiful assortment of patches that include- Army amphibious landing, ADSEC/ETO, Four six month serv

?

Yes Sir it was changed to 3 years . The swab jockeys are also 3 years but they were 4 until '96.
    At one time the Air Force did away with it. Because they are always Good Boy's but that got reinstated at sometime in the recent past.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 09-27-2019 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelliing correction

Thanks Phil for the clarification...

I learned a new nugget of knowledge today....

Thanks

Smitty

?

I also learned something during this thread. I did not know that the US Army used the knotted rope on your/their Good Cookie.
    So thank you Sir!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

It is good to remember that officers are not eligible for the good conduct medal because they are expected to be ladies and gentlemen. Enlisted men (and women) are not expected to behave themselves so they are awarded for their good conduct. So it a dead give away that if an officer has a good cookie he/she is a mustang (prior enlisted).

Also I believe that when the Army first started awarding the good conduct medal it was awarded every year for wartime service and the went to every three years for peace time.

Well it seems a good deal of us learned something new from this thread! It makes me happy to see that.

I joined this forum to enhance my knowledge of military antiques, and you guys helped me do just that! Anytime when others learn something new along the way, it makes it even better.

Thanks a ton for all of this very helpful information!

Best regards- Jarret

?

Quote by 08SMLE48 View Post
    It is good to remember that officers are not eligible for the good conduct medal because they are expected to be ladies and gentlemen. Enlisted men (and women) are not expected to behave themselves so they are awarded for their good conduct. So it a dead give away that if an officer has a good cookie he/she is a mustang (prior enlisted).
    Excellent added info and very true, That is how we knew who really deserved respect when we saw a GC on a O's uniform. They were normally the better leaders in my mind. They truly cared about their men's well being!

I was about to add that Tid Bit of info but you already did

Semper Fi
    Phil

Jarrett,, (and anyone else interested)

There is a very good reference book about American Special units in Normandy during the D-Day Landings..

"Spearheading D-Day, American Special Units in Normandy" by Jonathan Gawne.

This reference books details a lot of the units that got the Soldiers to the beaches, Landing craft personnel, ESBs (Engineer Special Brigades), Rangers, Barrage Balloon Units, AA units, Tank units, and this book has lots of photos from the period as well as color photos of uniforms and equipment.

I have attached a scan of the cover.. I think you may find it interesting as it is directly associated with your uniform..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Amphibious Ike jacket  
    Last edited by Rakkasan187; 09-28-2019 at 02:57 PM.

?

Thank you Smitty for that reference.

The uniform is sporting the Ordnance collar device and with him being in the amphibious unit. What do you thing his job would have been? He's just not a boat/landing craft driver. Correct?

I know the Navy had/has the UDT ,but did the Army also have demolitions crew to clear landing sites and would they be sporting the Ordnance device?

This is a great Ike to learn about and My mind is opened for more knowledge.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil,

Army ESB's had Ordnance Companies assigned to them,, they performed various duties prior to D-Day and during the invasion..

Here is a good reference on the D-Day (Scroll down to page 308 where it starts to discuss the ESBs.. and on Page 309 it will show units that comprised the 5th ESB....

Normandy - The Technical Services : Corps of Engineers

Smitty

Thanks for telling us about that book Smitty!

I’ll have to look into purchasing it. I would love to get a more in depth understanding of what this man could have done during the landings.

Best regards- Jarret
    Last edited by Luftwaffe 1941; 10-02-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast