Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

any suggestions for getting out dried paint?

Article about: One of the British shirts issued to the fellow in AFS he evidently used as a work shirt. No idea if it is lead paint or not. Any suggestions for how to get it out or should I just get some p

Default any suggestions for getting out dried paint?

One of the British shirts issued to the fellow in AFS he evidently used as a work shirt. No idea if it is lead paint or not. Any suggestions for how to get it out or should I just get some paint to better match it :-) any suggestions for getting out dried paint?any suggestions for getting out dried paint?any suggestions for getting out dried paint?

Not easy and you may make matters worse by trying. First you need to determine whether the paint is oil based or water based. If oil based it may be possible to remove
    with a paint thinner. You could also try nail varnish remover. Experiment on a small area.

MAP
    ?

In my opinion....Even if successful in removing the paint you will be left we all these areas with blotches where the underlying fabric is slightly to heavily changed in color. At least that is the experience I have had in removing paint from some of my clothes. It will never look even.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

As the gentlemen above have said, sadly, paint is one of those permanent things on fabric... it will be deep in the fibres where you cannot get to it.

I have seen such stains ‘retouched’, to make them less obvious; but this shirt, on a mannequin, with tunic or BD over it, will look just fine.
    What the eye doesn’t see...

All the best,
    Bob

?

Believe it or not,I used to use Nitromors paint and varnish stripper to get gloss paint off of leather and cotton fabric.With cotton,I would put it on and work in with an old toothbrush.I would then let it dry and after wash it with washing powder and water.This used to work well with the old formula but I think it had some chemical in it that is now banned.The new one doesn't work as well but I have managed to remove paint from a cotton mac with several treatments. Of course,with anything precious it is worth experimenting on a small area that is less visible.If you can get a 0.5cm square on the edge of a cuff or somewhere to move without issue you can start to work on the other areas.

If it was mine, I would try & 'pick' it off, see if it crumbles, but if not I would have to accept it as it is.
    Regards
    Paul