Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

anybody know anything about Puttees

Article about: Hi guys, ive had these puttees knocking about for ages, and keep coming back to them to try and date them. I know these (in various lengths ect) have been used by various nations for a long

Default anybody know anything about Puttees

Hi guys, ive had these puttees knocking about for ages, and keep coming back to them to try and date them.
    I know these (in various lengths ect) have been used by various nations for a long time.

these particular ones are about 40 inches long (not including the tape)

I know its a long shot, but my question is, does anyone recognise the faded makers mark/stamp??

anybody know anything about Putteesanybody know anything about Puttees

'Not gonna help much but I saw an identical set screwed up in a WW2 Brit bag at an auction last week.....the markings were identical and I couldn't make those ones out either......sorry

I though British versions were much longer than these?

That said, the triangular end is typical of British examples.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I though British versions were much longer than these?

That said, the triangular end is typical of British examples.
    Yes and no Jerry.

The type familiar from WWI were much longer but these are the later short type worn throughout the Army from sometime after WWII (not sure exactly when they were introduced and they were worn I think in the later '44 patt jungle uniform towards the end of WWII) until the introduction of the "Boot Combat High" in the '80s and many clung on to them unitl they could no longer get "Boots Ankle DMS" or until they could no longer get away with it! If I recall correctly the nomenclature was something like "Puttees khaki wool short". They were a point of great fuss in the context of a good "turn out". I can't for the life of me recall what the stamp read but it included nomenclature as well as makers name. From the look of these I would date them from mid'70s to '80s. The early ones had stiched-in labels rather than the white printing directly on the wool we see here.
    I still have mine somewhere and I need to dig them out as I promised (James C) to show a picture of them correctly worn so I will try to work out the markings then.

Regards

Mark

PS If recall correctly the ones that were retailed in military tailors / surplus shops etc were made by a company called Fox's so I expect they most likely were MoD contractors too.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-27-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Well that will be something to look out for........"Joint, leg, lower" photos.......

Quote by Composite View Post
    Well that will be something to look out for........"Joint, leg, lower" photos.......
    Oh yes, a finely turned ankle is something of joy to behold dontcha know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDUjvRl5u9o

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

hog
    ?

I saw these a lot when I lived in Swaziland.
    Could be the same.
    Guard of Honour | King's Birthday Celebrations | Swaziland | OzOutback

Quote by hog View Post
    I saw these a lot when I lived in Swaziland.
    Could be the same.
    Guard of Honour | King's Birthday Celebrations | Swaziland | OzOutback
    Yep, these are the same design and being Swaziland they might even be by the same maker but the colour is much lighter and given that this is parade dress I doubt that sun bleaching is the reason. In any case, however faded the khaki ones became they never achieved that shade.

Regards

Mark

NCA
    ?

They are made by Foxes .They have been making puttees at their mill for over 100 years. You can still see all the machinery used for making them at their museum at Coldharbour mill in Devon..

your ones pictured were in use from the 60's right up to the mid 80's early 90's.

https://www.coldharbourmill.org.uk/c...l-ww1-and-ww2/

- - ------- - -

They are made by Foxes .They have been making puttees at their mill for over 100 years. You can still see all the machinery used for making them at their museum at Coldharbour mill in Devon..

your ones pictured were in use from the 60's right up to the mid 80's early 90's.

https://www.coldharbourmill.org.uk/collections-and-exhibits/coldharbour-mill-ww1-and-ww2/

Thanks for all the help guys,
    It is appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast