Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Austerity Pattern Royal Artillery Officer Tunic

Article about: Hi All, Whilst out the other day I saw this hung up in a shop and thought that it was a bit mothed and there was no name in the pocket so almost passed on it due to a lack of space. Then I t

Default Austerity Pattern Royal Artillery Officer Tunic

Hi All,

Whilst out the other day I saw this hung up in a shop and thought that it was a bit mothed and there was no name in the pocket so almost passed on it due to a lack of space. Then I took a step back and saw the handwritten name and service number, 246738 A.J. Smart. R.A. So it ended up coming home with me.

The tunic itself has some mothing to it, particularly the sleeves and collar. It is of the wartime austerity pattern without top pocket pleats and cut in lower pockets. Unfortunately the original rank insignia and Royal Artillery officer "Ubique" collar flaming bombs have been stripped from the uniform.
    However it retains the original ribbon bar of the 1939-45 Star, Defence Medal, War Medal, General Service Medal (Of Which A.J. Smart was awarded the 1945-48 Palestine Clasp for) and the 1953 coronation medal for the late Queen Elizabeth II.

From my Research A. J. Smart was awarded his commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in 1942 from W. O. Cl. I (Warrant Officer Class 1). In 1945 He was granted as a Quartermaster Lieutenant. Shortly following this was a promotion on a Short Service Commission to Captain in 1946, reverting to Lieutenant in 1952.
    The next Gazette record shows him to be a Major in 1954 and retiring from the regular Army in 1957 and placed into the Reserve of officers until reaching the age limit in 1967 and granted the Honourary rank of Captain.
    Forces war records shows that he was Captain and Quartermaster in Palestine in 1948 with the 74th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Middle East School of Artillery.

I'm unable to find any prior service to any of this to see if Captain Smart had worked all the way through.

Hope you all enjoy,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austerity Pattern Royal Artillery Officer Tunic   Austerity Pattern Royal Artillery Officer Tunic  

Austerity Pattern Royal Artillery Officer Tunic   Austerity Pattern Royal Artillery Officer Tunic