Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Battledress with Provenance

Article about: Hello folks. This is one of two items I've picked up that belonged to the same man. It's another case (unfortunately all too common) of a dealer splitting up a grouping for profit's sake. Th

Default British Battledress with Provenance

Hello folks.

This is one of two items I've picked up that belonged to the same man. It's another case (unfortunately all too common) of a dealer splitting up a grouping for profit's sake. The grouping included the man's dog tags, which I unfortunately failed to grab in time. However, I did save the listing photographs of them for posterity's sake. They show both of his service numbers, including the earlier one he was issued during his Far East service.

British Battledress with Provenance

This battledress blouse, 1940 Pattern, belonged to John Anthony Kenneth Hall, service no. 311476. He served in both the Far East and in the European Theatre, serving as an officer in the famous Chindits in the former, and taking part in the Allied invasion of Normandy in the latter.

The grouping originally included a series of labels used to identify his suitcase while traveling. These detailed the areas and units in which he served during the war in the Far East: As a Lieutenant J.A.K Hall traveled to the Intelligence School in Karachi and to Bethamangala as part of the 9th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment, which was part of the 25th Indian Division. After a promotion to Captain he traveled to Calcutta India Command as part of the 2nd Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment (Poona) attached to the 1st Battalion Essex Regiment.
    The 1st Essex, 2nd York and Lancaster (25th Indian Division) and 9th York and Lancaster (70th Division) all took part in the Chindit missions behind enemy lines in the Burmese jungles and the Arakan Campaign 1942-43. The 70th Division was disbanded in 1943 and the Calcutta India Command (a place in which the labels show Hall traveled to) was replaced by the South East Asia Command in 1943 dating Hall’s time in the Far East to 1942-43.

After his service in the Far East, Hall was transferred to the European Theatre, where he served in the 2nd Battalion, Essex Regiment. He would have landed on Gold Beach on the 6th of June at around 1PM, avoiding the worst of the fighting on the beach itself. On the 21st July, he was wounded in action (something corroborated by his appearance in Casualty List No. 1504), during the Battle for Caen. Coincidentally, this was also the last day of Operation Goodwood.

I wasn't able to uncover anything else beyond that, though I would assume he was discharged due to his wounds, as no further service records exist beyond this point.

The blouse itself is in great condition overall. It bears York and Lancaster Regiment shoulder titles, and red Arm of Service strips indicating infantry. There are three pips on each epaulette, indicating a rank of Captain, and a bullion wound stripe on the left sleeve.
    It isn't perfect, however. There is some damage to the right sleeve where a mouse has chewed a rather large hole, and some light mothing around the left shoulder area. It is missing the top button, and the divisional patches beneath the shoulder titles were removed at some point. It's possible it never had any, as I suspect this was worn as a dress uniform rather than in combat. I do note that the blouse was manufactured in 1943, leaving open the possibility that Hall did wear it during his service in Europe, though if that were the case I'd expect to see more wear and dirt buildup. (He could have had it laundered postwar, of course).

The medal ribbons on the chest show the 1939-45 Star, the France & Germany Star, the Defence Medal and 1939-45 War Medal. I note there is no Burma Star, though Captain Hall certainly qualified for one. Why it's missing, I have no idea. His name and service number are handwritten on the inside. There's also a War Department ink stamp with the number 204.

British Battledress with Provenance British Battledress with Provenance British Battledress with Provenance British Battledress with Provenance British Battledress with Provenance British Battledress with Provenance British Battledress with Provenance British Battledress with Provenance

Regards, B.B.

I saw these items on EBay. It is a real shame that they were all listed separately. I can only dream about finding a trunk full of one mans uniform and accoutrements.
    Nice BD.

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I saw these items on EBay. It is a real shame that they were all listed separately. I can only dream about finding a trunk full of one mans uniform and accoutrements.
    Nice BD.
    It is infuriating, but as it's technically the dealer's private property, there's nothing we can do. The greatest tragedy is that these items will likely never come together again, as once they're parted out the connection between them is lost. I already have the helmet he wore on D-Day, so that's another thing that will stay with the group.

Regards, B.B.

?

Its a bit odd as his London Gazette entry (25 April 44) has him commissioned as a 2nd Lt effective 4 March 44, so if his Far East service was before he transferred to the UK for D-Day it would have been as an Other Rank (with service number 14601447 as per the tags from what I can see) so its odd that the write up seems to have him as an officer with the Chindits then a Captain in India command seemingly before his Commission. The London Gazette also only seems to shows his initial commission no later increase to Captain (not sure if that was in the field thing, so acting).

I've had a quick look at some of the bits and they seem good I'm not sure if the seller has taken a genuine group, a few facts and then theorised (or just guessed) the details of his story to complete the picture. Or I could just be missing something obvious and the story is exactly as written - I'm interested in others thoughts.

Quote by AB64 View Post
    Its a bit odd as his London Gazette entry (25 April 44) has him commissioned as a 2nd Lt effective 4 March 44, so if his Far East service was before he transferred to the UK for D-Day it would have been as an Other Rank (with service number 14601447 as per the tags from what I can see) so its odd that the write up seems to have him as an officer with the Chindits then a Captain in India command seemingly before his Commission. The London Gazette also only seems to shows his initial commission no later increase to Captain (not sure if that was in the field thing, so acting).

I've had a quick look at some of the bits and they seem good I'm not sure if the seller has taken a genuine group, a few facts and then theorised (or just guessed) the details of his story to complete the picture. Or I could just be missing something obvious and the story is exactly as written - I'm interested in others thoughts.
    Most of the research was done by the seller. I was able to verify his service in Normandy with my membership of Forces War Records, but not his earlier service in the Far East. The insignia on the battledress being for the York and Lancaster Regiment rather than the Essex Regiment lends weight to his earlier service, as does the slouch hat listed separately. His records indicate he was given an emergency commission to Temporary Captain on 31st January 1946, so the pips must have been added immediately postwar. His rank prior to the commission was 2nd Lieutenant.

If anyone can help clean things up in regards to his service, I'd be grateful.

Regards, B.B.

?

Ancestry has a mention of him in the Queens Royal West Surrey transfer in book as joining the GSC 6/5/43 and getting discharged to Commission 3/3/44 - so again the write up with him being an officer in the Far East pre D-Day doesn't tie in, I'd also doubt he even went to the Far East at that point as an OR as in the 10 months between enlistment and Commission he'd need to go through Basic Training, get posted, travel to the Far East, travel back home, go through an OCTU - I imagine that could be fitted in but seems unlikely - also if he was in the Far East why no Burma Star on BD or SD.

My guess (and it is a guess) is he joined up got Commissioned and went to Normandy and was wounded - those bits are solid going by the records (maybe saw more service in N W Europe) - but then got posted to the Far East late/post War and while there was a Captain (cheers for clarification on that, my LG search on his number doesn't show him going to Captain) hence the Jungle Greens and bush hat, but that is a total guess.

He is on a Family tree on Ancestry maybe someone on there can add details.

As I say I think the bits are all good, I just think the story as told isn't which is a shame as the fact he was at the very least wounded in Normandy means that his story is very worthy in its own right. I'm happy to be proved wrong though and that he was a Chindit officer etc

Quote by AB64 View Post
    Ancestry has a mention of him in the Queens Royal West Surrey transfer in book as joining the GSC 6/5/43 and getting discharged to Commission 3/3/44 - so again the write up with him being an officer in the Far East pre D-Day doesn't tie in, I'd also doubt he even went to the Far East at that point as an OR as in the 10 months between enlistment and Commission he'd need to go through Basic Training, get posted, travel to the Far East, travel back home, go through an OCTU - I imagine that could be fitted in but seems unlikely - also if he was in the Far East why no Burma Star on BD or SD.

My guess (and it is a guess) is he joined up got Commissioned and went to Normandy and was wounded - those bits are solid going by the records (maybe saw more service in N W Europe) - but then got posted to the Far East late/post War and while there was a Captain (cheers for clarification on that, my LG search on his number doesn't show him going to Captain) hence the Jungle Greens and bush hat, but that is a total guess.

He is on a Family tree on Ancestry maybe someone on there can add details.

As I say I think the bits are all good, I just think the story as told isn't which is a shame as the fact he was at the very least wounded in Normandy means that his story is very worthy in its own right. I'm happy to be proved wrong though and that he was a Chindit officer etc
    If I remember correctly, the Jungle Green uniform wasn't introduced until c. 1943, so your theory of him being transferred to the Far East later rather than earlier in his career makes perfect sense. After all, why would he have been issued with Jungle Greens after 1943 if he was no longer in the theatre they were worn in? It would also explain the lack of a Burma Star, especially if he was only active in the Far East postwar. I believe the Chindit connection was construed by the seller without concrete evidence to make the grouping more appealing.

I'll keep digging to see what I can find out about him. As you've said, his story is worth telling, and it's worth telling properly. It might prove challenging, but it's well worth the extra effort.

B.B.