Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

British / Commonwealth Battle dress rank chevrons

Article about: I was sorting through some cloth badges which are not entirely within my main field of knowledge and I came across these BD Sgt chevrons which at first look totally run of the mill but on 2n

Default British / Commonwealth Battle dress rank chevrons

I was sorting through some cloth badges which are not entirely within my main field of knowledge and I came across these BD Sgt chevrons which at first look totally run of the mill but on 2nd glance the herring-bone pattern of the embroidered tape goes in only a single direction rather than the usual two directions as with the Cpl chevron shown for comparison.

I realise that I should know what this means but I must be having a "senior moment" and just can't call to mind whether this is a concurrent pattern or a different period or even not British but another Commonwealth nation.

I am sure someone here will know instantly so please dispel my confusion for me

British / Commonwealth Battle dress rank chevronsBritish / Commonwealth Battle dress rank chevrons

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Bump!

I would normally be much more patient in waiting for an answer and have often advised others in that regard but this is becoming something of a frustration because I can't find any useful reference.

I have seen these in the past referred to as being WWI period but never with any specific information to substantiate the assertion. Also I can't find any images in which this type can be identified on a uniform.

Can somebody please straighten out my confusion over what I thought would be a simple question with an obvious answer?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark, your Sgt chevron looks like it might be post WW2. I have a pair below which I believe are WW2 era.

British / Commonwealth Battle dress rank chevronsBritish / Commonwealth Battle dress rank chevrons

Unusual pattern, not something I can help with from work. First impression is post WWII, but
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It crossed my mind that this might be a pattern used by one of the other Commonwealth nations that wore British pattern uniforms. For some reason I had Australia or South Africa at the back of my mind, I have no idea why.

Anybody have anything firm on theses?

Regards

Mark