MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

british rank uniform query

Article about: Hello guys, I don't know if it's the right place, it's a photo, but the question is about a uniform, i apologize before if I was wrong. I recently acquired this portrait of a UK official. Th

Default british rank uniform query

Hello guys,

I don't know if it's the right place, it's a photo, but the question is about a uniform, i apologize before if I was wrong.

I recently acquired this portrait of a UK official. The fact that he was six pipes in sholders puts him in captain rank , but the gorjet collar tabs
    wasn't that of superior officer, to be precise, colonel. It shouldn't be a pair of rank crowns? He is cap or colonel?

One last question, can anyone identify the button?

Kind Regards,

Berzotti

?

I believe the collar patches indicate that he is a staff officer, rather than being specific to his rank..

Quote by Kohima View Post
    I believe the collar patches indicate that he is a staff officer, rather than being specific to his rank..
    That is correct and it was once the case that all staff officers wore gorget tabs whereas today they are only worn by full colonels upwards. (not always bright red, in some branches of service different colours were / are used) so both points are valid depending on the period. Certainly during the period of the photograph you show a Captain serving in a staff appointment (rather than a regimental one) would be wearing gorget tabs

As an aside for anyone wondering about these mysterious pieces of insignia; The gorget tab is a symbolic remnant from the days of wearing suits of armour which included the "Gorget" which was a separate kidney shaped piece suspended around the neck to protect the throat of the wearer from sword cuts or lance points etc.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-02-2021 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Kohima and Watchdog, they helped a lot, thank you so much.
    Best regards from Brazil

It could also be a collar gorget patch for an intelligence officer who wore green and would be dark in a photo like this. there were other gorgets of different colours too - training staff had White IIRC and transport officers had blue.