Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British soldier in Crete

Article about: Hello folks, I'm trying to gather information about the uniforms worn on Crete by the British troops. I have most of the equipment but the uniform is proving to be a pain... So far I've figu

Default British soldier in Crete

Hello folks,

I'm trying to gather information about the uniforms worn on Crete by the British troops. I have most of the equipment but the uniform is proving to be a pain...
    So far I've figured the type of KD shorts I need but I'm having some trouble with the shirt/jacket.
    The questions are:
    -What is the type of the jacket?
    -Did they wear a jacket or a shirt?
    -What kind of buttons should I put on it? Plain or with a crest?

...and a bonus one: up to what rank did the british soldier carry a webbing with ammo pouches, entreching kit, water bottle, havershack etc? (that is for the eppaulettes I'm looking to purchase)

If you could answer or point me to the right direction it'd be much appreciated. I'm looking for a nice book regarding the KD uniforms but I can't find any...

ps I know that the soldiers on Crete were dressed with all kinds of equipment and peieces of uniform but I'm trying to build a 'normal' one if that makes any sense.

Thank you!

NCA
    ?

The book 'Khaki drill Jungle green' would help you a bit...

Finally!!! Thanks a lot matey... Didn't know about that book and it looks pretty good!

Why don't you Google search photographs of the Crete campaign, that way you can see what was worn rather than relying on a book (which sometimes aren't accurate). The New Zealand troops defending the airfield, had previously been in Greece and were evacuated to Crete before the German invasion. I seem to remember from photos I've seen they wore full wool battledress combat uniform in Crete and the lightweight "tropical" uniform after they reached Egypt.

Hello!

I've seen countless photographs from the Battle of Crete but I need details and specific information about uniforms. Such things can't be obtained by a generic book for that battle but from one talking specificly about the KD uniform... I've seen photos like the ones you describe but I think I will go for the summer look... I've seen photos with troops wearing the KD kit and I like it more for now! My second Tommy will be dressed with a battledress but that is for much later!

I have been looking in the book "Kiwis in Khaki" and there was a vast variation of combinations. Serge battledress to Khaki drill. In the battle scenario most of the soldiers were down to khaki drill. In resting they were in Serge Greatcoats, battledress, woolen vests, Jerkins etc.. Depends what scene you are trying to duplicate? Frontline soldiers were down to the bare minimum of drill, webbing and associated weaponry. Charles Upham who won his first V.C. on Crete lived down the road from me.