Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian made (1943) BD blouse : Lt Col, Royal Engineers, 50th (Northumbrian) Division

Article about: Here is my very first BD blouse (I very much doubt there will be another one, though!): manufactured by Master Craft Uniform Co. Reg'd in April of 1943.

?

Default Canadian made (1943) BD blouse : Lt Col, Royal Engineers, 50th (Northumbrian) Division

Canadian made (1943) BD blouse : Lt Col, Royal Engineers, 50th (Northumbrian) Division

Here is my very first BD blouse (I very much doubt there will be another one, though!): manufactured by Master Craft Uniform Co. Reg'd in April of 1943.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian made (1943) BD blouse : Lt Col, Royal Engineers, 50th (Northumbrian) Division  

?

A question for the more knowledgeable members of the Forum: did Pattern 1949 BD blouses replace WW2 type battledresses gradually or was there a radical change at the beginning of the 1950s? I am trying to determine a terminus ad quem for this BD blouse - my guess is that it could have been put together sometime between 1945 and 1949 but, of course, this is just a wild guess - all opinions are welcome!

Regards,

Didier

?

Another question, as I always have plenty of them in store: do you know whether some of these Canadian made battledress blouses were actually worn by British officers on D-Day and during the Battle of Normandy? The black and white pictures make it nearly impossible to determine the exact colour of the battledesses worn in 1944 and I was wondering whether the typical greenish hue of Canadian BD blouses would have been a problem or not as far as British uniform regulations go. Mine is a greener colour than it looks on the photos above, so it would definitely have stood out like a sore thumb in the midst of khaki uniforms...

Regards,

Didier

?

That is one minty battledress Didier! But are you sure it will be your only one? here are my Aussie post-war examples.

?

That is indeed a sight for sore eyes, Ubique! But no, I have no intention of buying other BD blouses in the near future - I just would not know where to store them, to begin with!

Quote by Didier View Post
    Another question, as I always have plenty of them in store: do you know whether some of these Canadian made battledress blouses were actually worn by British officers on D-Day and during the Battle of Normandy? The black and white pictures make it nearly impossible to determine the exact colour of the battledesses worn in 1944 and I was wondering whether the typical greenish hue of Canadian BD blouses would have been a problem or not as far as British uniform regulations go. Mine is a greener colour than it looks on the photos above, so it would definitely have stood out like a sore thumb in the midst of khaki uniforms...

Regards,

Didier
    I would say yes to a UK officer/OR to using one if he was lucky to procure one. The wool is much softer than any UK, Australian (4 pocket) and New Zealand one's in my collection.

?

Thank you, René. I had genuine doubts about the possibility of such a Canadian-looking battledress being worn by a British officer on active duty in 1944 or later.