Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cold War - Battledress 1949 pattern Berlin occupation forces 1955

Article about: Hi everyone, A very nice battledress arrived today. It's not my normal collecting area but I couldn't resist. After visiting Berlin almost every year Berlin since the eighties and before the

Another question. Does anyone know how to remove these black storage marks from the turtle helmet I used in the picture??? I tried scraping it of with a scalpel and aceton. Didn't work enough for me. Or maybe I should get another better stored helmet.

Cheers Paul

As I am sure you know, those marks are deposits from the liner of another helmet stacked on top in storage. So what you need is a solvent that you would not want to be near your helmet at all normally as it will dissolve the black finish. This means you have to be very careful with it but acetone might work or the old fashioned "Dabit-off" home dry cleaning fluid that was sold in small bottles (don't know if it is still around given current H&S laws!) but again be careful that it does not harm or stain the helmet finish. Because the helmet should be a MkIV and they are not yet too rare a cleaner example for display with the uniform might be the "line of least resistance" for you especially as in the Berlin "scenario" of your picture all the four nations involved (UK, US, France and USSR) took care to ensure a smart appearance at all times

Regards

Mark

PS Isopropanol might be another option.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-08-2022 at 12:47 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2