Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The complete ATS Physical Training kit

Article about: What are those breast badges being worn?

Default The complete ATS Physical Training kit

Hiya, ATS girls had to do PT like all other soldiers. So they needed a complete range of specially designed sports wear.

Some of this is now very rare and almost impossible to find.

I am going to feature each item in turn.

Cheers, Lez.

Default Re: The complete ATS Physical Training kit

Plimsoles or "Shoes, Canvas, PT". These training shoes were actually the same style as the mens issue. Made of brown canvas with a rubber sole. I had similar style ones when I was at school in the 1960's

The rubber on these has now gone rock hard with age.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The complete ATS Physical Training kit  

"Shirts, PT": The sports vest with button up top. There is also a variant with a V neck available. They are manufactured in "Airtex" type material.

These are made in ATS Corps colours of Beech Brown & Chocolate Brown.

This one is nicely named and numbered to the original owner, "M Ryder W/35928"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The complete ATS Physical Training kit   The complete ATS Physical Training kit  

Next we have the "Skirts, Divided, PT ATS". It fastens with two brown plastic buttons on the hip.

Made by the Clydesdale Weatherproof Co. Dated 1942.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The complete ATS Physical Training kit   The complete ATS Physical Training kit  

The complete ATS Physical Training kit  

Here we have the matching knickers.

These have an elasticated waist. Dated 1942 and made by The London Knitwear Co. Again in an Airtex breathable material.

Variation on the sports knickers with a single side button fastening as opposed to being elasticated. Very small WD broad arrow marked label.

Very rare ATS sports PT kit bag. "Bags, kit, PT ATS" made by "W Howe Ltd" and dated 1943.

We believe these were only issued to PT instructors.

Made of heavy duty brown canvas, again in the corps colour of chocolate brown.

Wow that is another first for me how cool. Fantastic collection you should be very proud!

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thank you Eric It is nice to be able to share things.

I have a couple more rare items to show but the light has gone so Ade cannot take any more pics. I will try and finish this thread tomorrow.

Cheers, Lez.

?

Quote by larissa View Post
    Plimsoles or "Shoes, Canvas, PT". These training shoes were actually the same style as the mens issue. Made of brown canvas with a rubber sole. I had similar style ones when I was at school in the 1960's

The rubber on these has now gone rock hard with age.
    We were still wearing plimsoles in 76 when i joined up Lez , we had to bull them !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast