Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fifth Air Force MP Class A Jacket

Article about: I present a military policeman’s 4-pocket jacket that I had bought off of fleabay many years ago. It is supposed to be that of a MP in the 1125th Military Police Company Aviation, later 51

?

Default Fifth Air Force MP Class A Jacket

I present a military policeman’s 4-pocket jacket that I had bought off of fleabay many years ago. It is supposed to be that of a MP in the 1125th Military Police Company Aviation, later 511th Military Police Company, of the 5th Air Force. The 511th Company was an entity under the 4th Air Depot Group at Depot #2 Townsville. The Townsville Depot not far from Garbutt aerodrome, at the base of Mount Louisa.

The Class A has the MP armband and whistle attached by the shoulder board. A nice bullion 5th Air Force patch. It appears to be theatre made as I haven’t seen another one similar. I am thrown off by the medal bar being disjointed. The Asiatic-Pacific Campaign bar has two service stars(?) but they were only credited for the fighting on Leyte. The Good Conduct Medal is pinned to the left breast pocket.
    It is named via the Good Conduct Medal. The reverse is inscribed to Lemuel D. Gosnell. Lemuel was a T/5 from Westport, Connecticut. He spent two years overseas until being discharged in January 1946 at the Fort Devens Separation Center in Massachusetts. Unfortunately, he passed away from a stroke in 1976 at 56 years old.

Nice looking uniform.

Nothing wrong with the individual ribbons. Ribbons were issued to the Soldiers like this and very rarely did they care or have the capability to place them on a ribbon bar, especially in the forward areas. I have several WW2 uniforms with individual ribbons attached.

The 5th AF patch is very nice and most likely Australian made.

Best

Smitty