MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?

Article about: I recently found this regulation army officer's overcoat. What is the history behind it? How much is it worth? I don't see any condition issues. Thanks.

Default Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?

I recently found this regulation army officer's overcoat. What is the history behind it? Is XE-8759 the inventory #? How much is it worth? I don't see any condition issues. Thanks.
    Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?
    Last edited by Theduckmaster1; 07-14-2020 at 01:22 AM.

I believe MAP (one of our moderators) asked for a little introduction about who you are and why you are here on a previous posting about a photo of Charles Lindbergh..

We are more than willing to help others but manners go a long way here,, rather than just posting another inquiry about what an item is and how much it is worth.. We do not do personal price evaluations for members. You may see some who have offered their opinions, but it is just that and opinion. Pricing is very subjective... You can find the prices of these items on many auction sites and by doing some basic research. You will also need to take much better photos if you want fair assessments...

Here are two links that will help you on your way...

US Army Uniforms Index

32 Ounce Roll Collar Olive Drab Melton Wool Overcoat (Specification PQD 164 Dated 2 April 1942)

Smitty

Oh sorry. I'm here to find out some more information about some items I found. I'm not looking for professional evaluation. I'm looking for opinions. Thanks for the information.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    I believe MAP (one of our moderators) asked for a little introduction about who you are and why you are here on a previous posting about a photo of Charles Lindbergh..

We are more than willing to help others but manners go a long way here,, rather than just posting another inquiry about what an item is and how much it is worth.. We do not do personal price evaluations for members. You may see some who have offered their opinions, but it is just that and opinion. Pricing is very subjective... You can find the prices of these items on many auction sites and by doing some basic research. You will also need to take much better photos if you want fair assessments...

Here are two links that will help you on your way...

US Army Uniforms Index

32 Ounce Roll Collar Olive Drab Melton Wool Overcoat (Specification PQD 164 Dated 2 April 1942)

Smitty
    That is a great link Smitty. Everything you would want to know about this.

Duckmaster: Again welcome. One thing we do not provide is monetary evaluation. It is just too subjective. Searching dealer websites, eBay, Militaria shows will give you a range.

We are happy however to provide help on the item itself.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks MAP. I tried looking online for similar items but had trouble finding them. I'm trying to find out more details about it. I looked at that link, does the same information apply to mine because some of the tags look different?
    Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?

I saw someone asking how much he should pay for some pins. I haven't bought this yet. Should I even buy it? He's asking $20? It looks like it is in nice condition.

You need to ask yourself, Is this something I am interested in? Keep in mind that uniforms are quite bulky and take up large amounts of space. The price is fair for this type of early War overcoat and some tags will vary with makers information.

The long Officer's overcoat was made in doeskin, Melton or Kersey. Overcoats were to be worn at the instruction of the Commanding Officer who stated which style, long or short overcoat (as there were 2 versions) required for the given day. The long pattern which is pictured here was the first required to be worn by officers but it was gradually replaced by the short overcoat. By 1943 it had been completely replaced.

This is everything you need to know about your overcoat. The Specification Code 145 is at the top left along with the manufacturing date and the maker code 404 is the last sentence..

Source Credit: Uniforms of the US Army Ground Forces 1939-1945 Volume 1 Coats and Jackets Part 1. Service Coats, Field Jackets, Overcoats and Mackinaw Coats, by Charles Lemons 2012. ISBN 978-1-105-45482-0

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?   Found this new uniform. What is the history behind it?  

Thanks! Very helpful. One last question that I couldn't find on the document: Is XE-8759 the inventory number?

That may be a laundry number for the Soldier who wore this 8759 would be the Soldiers last four of his Army Serial Number the XE which is rather odd would be the first initial of the Soldier's last name. This is usually only one letter..

I don't have time right now to try to research this individual as I am doing research for several other parties at the moment..

Smitty

Okay thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast