Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German-Tailored US Officer Uniform

Article about: Not sure where to have put this, but this is my cross-town friend's latest score. I will let him take it from here: This U.S. officer uniform has more story possibilities, and raises more qu

Default German-Tailored US Officer Uniform

Not sure where to have put this, but this is my cross-town friend's latest score.
    I will let him take it from here:

This U.S. officer uniform has more story possibilities, and raises more questions, than you can count.

In addition to collecting German WWI and WWII, another interest of mine has been U.S. uniforms, 1920 to the Korean War, especially with embroidered insignia. When these U.S. uniforms are made in Germany, even better.

The Major Richard Casper Berlin made tunic came with his partial service records. He enlisted before Pearl Harbor, fought on Guadalcanal two months after Marines landed, fought in the Northern Solomon’s, South Philippines, Battle of Manila (called the Stalingrad of the East), etc.

From his record, he was awarded a number of decorations, like the Purple Heart, Bronze Star, etc., that would be worn embroidered on this custom made tunic. Interestingly enough, he choose only to have his Army Presidential Unit citation, two Navy/Marine Corp Presidential Unit citations (awarded to individuals within the unit, not to the unit or regiment as a whole), as was customary with Presidential Unit citations. Again, this is an army officer awarded two Navy/Marine Unit citations. Also embroidered were the Philippines Presidential Unit citation, and the Combat Infantry Badge. None of his personal ribbons were added. His full list of decorations is the last attachment.

From the 1945 Fighting Divisions book, Major Casper’s unit became part of the only un-numbered W.W.II U.S. division, the Americal. Fast forward to Vietnam, the Americal became a disgraced army unit, after the massacres by Lt. Calley at My Lai in 1968.
    The tropical worsted tunic was made by Fritsch & Rohr, makers of first class German uniforms during W.W.II. It is interesting to note that the embroidered CIB badge displays the same metallic beading as on Heer officer breast eagles. See breast eagle attachment. Did Fritsch and Rohr use surplus W.W.II stock material to make the CIB?

I am in the process of getting the fuller story of Major Casper.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German-Tailored US Officer Uniform   German-Tailored US Officer Uniform  

German-Tailored US Officer Uniform   German-Tailored US Officer Uniform  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

I would guess he was transferred to the occupation force in Germany and had it made then. Many companies in Germany were looking to make anything for a dollar to put food on the table. I cannot think of anything else. Others will add information to be sure. Mine is only my best guess. Very nice tunic.
    John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 08-23-2021 at 01:50 PM.

MAP
    ?

That is one sharp looking tunic! Your CTF has quite an eye for nice things.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Very nice and historical uniform Stoney. Please convey my appreciation to CTF.

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    I would guess he was transferred to the occupation force in Germany and had it made then. Many companies in Germany were looking to make anything for a dollar to put food on the table. I cannot think of anything else. Others will add information to be sure. Mine is only my best guess.
    John
    Hi John,
    You needn't guess. It was a known practice for occupation troops, particularly officers, to have custom made uniform items by German tailors during that time period.
    Just like the "flip side" when we collectors find German officer uniforms made by Parisian tailors during the war.

I was never stationed in Korea, but I knew a couple fellow officers that had their dress blues made by Korean tailors when they were stationed there. The labor cost was a bargain and they could get a nicer set of dress blues than those purchased "off the rack" at the PX.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

My cross-town friend scored another Fritsch & Rohr US tunic at the SOS:

I have long collected embroidered U.S. WWII and Korean War uniforms. I am particularly interested in theatre made pieces, any era, especially made by Fritsch & Rohr Berlin. Fritsch & Rohr made top quality Third Reich uniforms, and started making U.S. uniforms post 1946, and on.

This is a highly unusual Ike. Note the direct embroidered insignia is for the transportation corps – a less than interesting branch when compared to combat arms. However, note the miniscule direct embroidery of the transportation insignia – a wing over a shield surrounded by a clipper ships wheel. This embroidery is larger than a nickel, but not by much. Incredibly detailed workmanship. All ribbons and hash marked and individual thread embroidery. Typical Fritsch & Rohr workmanship.

This workmanship detail is comparable to the best German Waffenrock quality.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German-Tailored US Officer Uniform   German-Tailored US Officer Uniform  

German-Tailored US Officer Uniform  

Another nice one. 6 Overseas stripes. He had been there a while. Deserved a break to buy a nice custom tunic.
    John

Hi there

In answering your question "Did Fritsch and Rohr use surplus W.W.II stock material to make the CIB?"

No.

They used the exact same material cloth/ bullion that German officers used during the war.

Thats why you see a lot f German influence on Ikes etc...

There was an abundance of left over supplies from manufacturers and custom tailors that was cheap and ready to be made into excellent high quality uniforms and insignia for returning GI's.

It helped the local economies and build relations as well as put food on the table for the locals.

Another point it was faster to get locally made items than getting thru the Army supply chain system from the States.

Phill

Latest from my CTF:

At SOS, I found this almost perfect condition 1930 U.S. Air Service custom officer tunic, named to Lt. Brown, dated 1.1.1930. In my estimation, 1920’s and 1930’s U.S. Air Corp uniforms are under appreciated. This is a top of the line named tunic with embroidered wings and embroidered collar insignia. I have a few examples of this tailor’s pilot uniforms, from the same 1930’s - 1933 period.

I am amazed that often I find things in the pockets of these tunics that the seller never mentions. As in this example, a solid cast metal sweetheart pin. He ruler confirms the sweetheart pins considerable size. Pin is a model of the 1933 Peashooter pursuit plane, serving with the U.S. until, and including, the attack on Pearl Harbor. Peashooters, long obsolescent, went up against Japanese zeros in the Philippines, n the days following Pearl Harbor. This pin was in the pocket of Lt. Browns tunic. I found it recently when mounting on the dummy.

This sweetheart pin confirms that Lt. Brown choose pursuit planes, rather than the observation or bombers, after his 1930 commissioning. I am currently trying to get this officers W.W.II service record.

As always with your CTF, Be it German or US, Top quality with a story to tell! Thanks for showing ,Regards Paul.