Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help! Review for USS NEREUS WWII uniform

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, What do you think of this uniform supposedly attributed to the WWII USS Nereus? I don't know if it is original from this period or later, as this ship was active until the p

?

Default Help! Review for USS NEREUS WWII uniform

Hello Gentlemen, What do you think of this uniform supposedly attributed to the WWII USS Nereus?

I don't know if it is original from this period or later, as this ship was active until the post-war period. I believe it's post-war .What do you think?

Thanks

Help! Review for USS NEREUS WWII uniformHelp! Review for USS NEREUS WWII uniformHelp! Review for USS NEREUS WWII uniformHelp! Review for USS NEREUS WWII uniformHelp! Review for USS NEREUS WWII uniformHelp! Review for USS NEREUS WWII uniformHelp! Review for USS NEREUS WWII uniformHelp! Review for USS NEREUS WWII uniform

Greetings,,

You are correct in your presumption that the uniform is post WW2. The Ship Rocker Arc or Tab identifying the vessel is a post WW2 addition to US Navy uniforms. I believe the addition of the rocker started in 1956 after the Korean War, now there should be some manufacturing tags in the uniform which may indicate a possible year of make.. It is possible that the Navy whites are WW2 era but as I look a little closer at the Rocker tab, this is a cut edge patch which was used (in the Navy from around 1956 to about 1968) when the Navy went to the merrow edged patches and insignia, and as I look at the Navy Rate it also appears to be a merrow edged insignia which may date this uniform to the Vietnam era..

One question I have about the material of the uniform... Is it cotton, or a combination of cotton and polyester?? That will most likely tell us that it is later than Korean War era and most likely VN era..

Hope this helps..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty