Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???

Article about: Hi all I got this service doublet/jacket and kilt.The person I got it off said that it was Glasgow Highlanders and ww2 era . I was just wondering what peoples opinions are . thanks matty

Quote by Smudge3311 View Post
    Old thread I know but just reading thru stuff after joining....the kilt in this thread and the jacket I’d say do not belong together, the jacket being market with titles to HLI, but the kilt is Cameron Highlanders (Cameron if Erracht tartan to be precise)
    Yep it is an old thread but seems to include some serious mis-information. I can't really help with the kilt pattern except to say that (*see corrigenda below* it is most definatley not Cameron of Erracht but McKenzie and as such it is the right tartan for HLI. It must I think be post '47 though as before then) the only unit within the regiment that wore the kilt was 5th (Glasgow Highlanders) Bn and they wore the Government Tartan aka "Black Watch" or Number 42. This is the same tartan as worn by The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) and The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.
    I don't know how the Gordon Highlanders came into the equation but their tartan was "Gordon", they never were part of the HLI and recruited from a completely different area of Scotland.
    The Royal Scots Fusiliers (RSF) with whom the HLI were subsequently ammalgamated wore a "new" or government tartan (from 1949) which was based on Erskine but was all green and sometimes referred to as Hunting Erskine.
    Cameron of Erracht has an overall appearance of oranges and browns and was worn by the Cameron Highlanders until they were joined with The Seaforth Highlanders as the Queens Own Highlanders. The QOHLDRS main tartan was McKenzie (like HLI) and the pipe band wore Cameron of Erracht. Neither of these regiments were ever part of the HLI.
    The issue of tartan patterns in general and in particular which was worn by what regiment (some wore several and Royal Stuart for example was/is worn by many regiments/units in addition to the main regimental tartan EG pipers) is very complicated but the Scots take it very badly if you get it wrong as it is a matter of enormous pride.

The short answer here is that the kilt at the top of the thread is (*not*) correct for HLI post 1947 but I felt I had to put right a couple of real red herrings here.

I don't claim to be expert but during my service I was stationed alongside all the regiments of the Scots Division (they were known as the Magnificent 7 back then because there were seven of them), The Scots Guards and The Royal Scots Dragoons at one time of another so, as an Englishman with an interest in militaria and military history my life woul have been made unbearable by "The Jocks" were I not on the ball! Therefore, I learned some stuff
    I hope this is helpful.

Regards

Mark
    PS The wearing of tartan by the general public is fairly subjective but as a rule Royal/Hunting/Dress Stuart and Government (Black Watch) is pretty much fair game Howevr, anything else worn without family connection is just asking for trouble especially in Scotland

Edit; Corrigenda.

*Error on my part, as stated by Smudge3311 the kilt in the original post is in fact Cameron of Erracht tartan NOT McKenzie and therefore is not apprpriate for HLI. I got the patterns mixed up!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-30-2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: corrigenda
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Sorry but you are wrong, that is most def a Cameron kilt, I served 8 years in the Queens Own Highlanders (seaforth & Cameron), I wore a MacKenzie Kilt every week and still have it and I wore Cameron trews and still own them, I also served in the Highlanders (Gordon kilt and MacKenzie trews) and currently have a commission in the Royal Regiment if Scotland (Goverment 1A kilt and trews) I never served alongside, I served in!

Cheets

Sorry but you are wrong, that is most def a Cameron kilt, I served 8 years in the Queens Own Highlanders (seaforth & Cameron), I wore a MacKenzie Kilt every week and still have it and I wore Cameron trews and still own them, I also served in the Highlanders (Gordon kilt and MacKenzie trews) and currently have a commission in the Royal Regiment if Scotland (Goverment 1A kilt and trews) I never served alongside, I served in!

Cheets
    Bugger! My mistake I just looked again and you are right it is Cameron of Erracht, don't know how I mixed them up. Apologies, like I said I know the Scots take it badly if one gets it wrong

No need to be quite so scathing though ("I never served alongside, I served in!")

When you have been here a while you will realise that those of us who "bide here" will always admit our errors. I stand by the other points though.

Best wishes

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Sorry if came across hard, as You’ll know us Jocks dont like being told we’re wrong and we def don’t like an argument 😋

Sorry if came across hard, as You’ll know us Jocks dont like being told we’re wrong and we def don’t like an argument 😋
    No worries mate, I've done the course my wife is a weegie

?

The 1/6th territorials and the 1/9th both wore kilts. Black watch pattern for 1/9 and Mackenzie for the 1/6

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3