Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Home Guard Uniforms

Article about: I would like to make up a figure dressed in a Home Guard Uniform. When I do, I don't like to use repro items. I have original P37 web gear, except for the ammo pouches, which are hard to com

Default Home Guard Uniforms

I would like to make up a figure dressed in a Home Guard Uniform. When I do, I don't like to use repro items. I have original P37 web gear, except for the ammo pouches, which are hard to come buy. Have the leather belt that was worn and proper bayonet for the period, also have original patches. My problem is the majority of the photos show the Home Guard in 37 pattern battledress jacket, the ones with the pleated pockets and covered buttons. The last P37 jacket I had I used on my Rifles Officer. I have several 40 pattern jackets, with the non pleated pockets and exposed buttons. Would they be acceptable for a Home Guard Uniform? Attached is my Rifles Officer.

Any help with be appricated.

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Guard Uniforms  

Hi Mike, I think 37 Pattern would be best. I cannot recall any photos of them in 40 pattern BD.

I have a Home Guard Haversack coming up for auction at work on March 14th.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for the input. I did find a photo of the "Local Defence Volunteers" with buttoned battledress, photo attached. What are they wearing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Guard Uniforms  

?

This is the denim work uniform. Most units received this, again of the type similar to ‘Battle Dress, Serge’, with pleated pockets (but exposed buttons), before being refitted with the BD, Serge proper.

Thanks, will keep looking for a P37 jacket, in the mean time I will have to use a repro.