Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ike Jacket Help

Article about: Hey guys, new to the forum, just picked up this ike jacket the other day for 20 with the hat. It's dated June 13, 1946 on the manufacture tag. I'm wondering if you think the guy who had the

Default Ike Jacket Help

Hey guys, new to the forum, just picked up this ike jacket the other day for 20 with the hat. It's dated June 13, 1946 on the manufacture tag. I'm wondering if you think the guy who had the jacket served in World War 2. I want to know as much as I can about it, so whatever you guys can share with me is great.

Thanks Calloway

Ike Jacket HelpIke Jacket HelpIke Jacket HelpIke Jacket Help

A nice clean example!

The heart patch belongs to the 24th corps. The 24th was activated in Hawaii on June 9th 1944, and it remained active until January 25th 1949. It would later be temporarily reactivated for the Vietnam war.

The sun patch belongs to the 40th infantry division which saw a total of 265 days of combat in WW2. The 40th participated in the Bismark Archipelago, Southern Philippines, and Luzon campaigns.

With that being said we know for sure the man who wore this jacket served in the pacific. An interesting patch to note are the three overseas bars on his sleeve. Each bar represents six months of overseas service in a theater of war. So it'd say it's safe to assume that these bars were earned during WW2. It's my belief that this man served during WW2, and then continued serving to some degree during the post war period. That would explain why the jacket is dated 1946.

I also think it's worth mentioning that the overseas service bars were placed on the right sleeve during the Korean war, your jacket has them on the left. So to me all the signs point to WW2 service. Can you find any names or numbers printed anywhere on the jacket? If you can get a name or laundry number it could help you research the owner.

I hope this helps!

Best regards- Jarret

?

Great analysis Jarret. I agree with your thoughts about this Ike jacket.
    Great Job.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 02-28-2020 at 05:15 AM.

?

Nice mate ,
    I agree with the others , Post war Jacket but definitely WW2 service with the OS service bars on left sleeve.
    Some better photos of the OS bars would be good though . they should look like this .
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1385095

Default RE: Ike Jacket Help

Thanks guys for all the information about my Ike jacket. I'm glad that you guys think that it is a post war jacket but was wore by someone who served in WW2. I have added a better photo of the overseas bars and this jacket also cam with a cap. I was wondering what would be the value oft this Ike jacket and cap. I only payed 20 dollars for it. Thanks so much.

Calloway

Ike Jacket HelpIke Jacket Help

I won't repeat what has been said.. Jarret summed it all up in a great response other than the jacket is in very good condition.

A great jacket for the price.

Smitty

?

I've had plenty of groupings to ww2 guys who served occupation duty and have 1946 issue Ike jackets. I agree likely a ww2 vet